MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Cool What do you think of my plan? Butt over brisket

Here's my plan, please criticize as I've never done this combo before.

Preface- I have done numerous pork shoulders and am very comfortable with them.

WSM - 18.5 inch set up to run at 250 all day long.

Top grate - Bone in pork butt (aiming for the 6-8 lb range)
Bottom grate - Costco Brisket Flat (the small typical brisket from a grocery store, not the whole one). I believe the fat is already trimmed off these?

Anyway, both will be rubbed and I'll mop the pork often and perhaps rotate the brisket throughout the cooking. Letting the pork drip on top the brisket. I know when to pull the pork off and I'll take the brisket off when its really tender. As in "just like butter when the probe goes in"

Am I missing something? Is this brisket "flat" from Costco not the right thing to get? I read a lot about fat being necessary. But I've never done a brisket so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
John

Oh - one more thing I forgot to mention:

I'm doing my cooking on Saturday for a party on Sunday at around 4pm. Think I should pull the pork Sat night put in the fridge in a foil tin? Then on Sunday heat the oven to 200-250 and put it in to warm up, with some sauce mixed in as well? For the brisket I was thinking about slicing it on Saturday, placing it in an aluminum tin in the fridge and then Sunday reheating it with some sauce at 200-250 degrees?

Last edited by grilling24x7; 01-17-2012 at 08:07 PM..
grilling24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sounds like you're gonna be just fine!
The brisket flat is just that.....the flat. It's had the point removed and has likely been trimmed somewhat. A whole packer or whole brisket is usually untrimmed with the point attached to the flat.

It sounds like you don't plan to foil? Many don't, so if that's your intentions, you'll be fine. First brisket I did was a flat and it was recommended to me to foil once it hit a point where I was happy with the bark. I did that and added about a cup of beef broth into the foil. To date, that was the best brisket I've ever done.

Personally, I don't think the pork dripping on the brisket will really help, but it won't really hurt either. The drippings will just roll off of the flat. Some think that the drippings will keep the flat moist, but they won't penetrate the meat really. Still, it's like basting....can't really hurt.

Let us know how it goes! If you have a probe thermo, use that to tell you when you're getting close. With both the butt and the brisket, it's not about temp, but tenderness. You're right on the money to look for probe tenderness (BUTTAH!). I like to use a thermo to let me know when to start checking for that. Usually once you get to about 180-185, start stabbing those suckers every once in awhile until you achieve total tenderness.

GOOD LUCK!
LET US KNOW HOW IT WENT!!!

Old 01-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
bigabyte

There is usually still some fat on the brisket flats, but you can leave it on or trim it off if you like. Since you're still new at this, trim off all of the fat from the side with the least fat, and leave the fat cap on the other side to save you some work and headache. That way one side will give you great bark, and the other side some fat. Put the fat side down on your WSM to act as a heat shield. That way if any heat spikes occur, you will burn fat and not meat. Just let the brisket sit there until it's done. No flipping or rotating necessary at all. In fact, brisket is a lot better when you just leave it in the cooker and forget about it until it's done.

I see absolutely no merit in mopping, and gave that up years ago. All it does it waste cooking time with the lid open, and wastes all that stuff you put in the mop. Some people just like to mop though, so don't let me talk you out of it if you are convinced it is necessary.

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, ask away. There's tons of experience on these boards to help you out.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Great quick replies guys! Thanks. If others are out there, keep 'em coming.

Last edited by grilling24x7; 01-17-2012 at 08:07 PM..
grilling24x7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
landarc

I typically do a butt over a brisket, I like to run a full cooker if I can. I think it makes a difference. However, I also do not believe in mopping, there is no reason to believe it, or basting for that matter, does anything but glaze the meat.

I like the idea of foiling the flat per Wampus's suggestion, flats are notorious for drying out on a cook. And it is hard to get it heated again if it does dry out.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
NorthwestBBQ

Pork over Briskie is the way to go!
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Agree with the above. I quite regularly pull the pork the night before and reheat the next day. Reheated (add a little moisture, cover the pan tight and heat for a bit) pulled pork is awesome.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

Shoulder and Briskett.....

YEAH...

Last edited by mtbchip; 03-24-2012 at 11:06 AM..
mtbchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

there we go! that's the real deal photo!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
There is usually still some fat on the brisket flats, but you can leave it on or trim it off if you like. Since you're still new at this, trim off all of the fat from the side with the least fat, and leave the fat cap on the other side to save you some work and headache. That way one side will give you great bark, and the other side some fat. Put the fat side down on your WSM to act as a heat shield. .
Hey Bigabyte will I need to worry about cutting this fat off after its cooked? Or will it me so minimal that Ill be able to slice it and not even worry about the fat at the bottom of the slice. I'm having trouble picturing leaving it on.

John

Old 01-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
bigabyte

It will likely not be too thick to have to worry about for eating. They usually trim flats pretty well, just not all the way. However, if that fat cap on the one end looks too thick, go ahead and trim it down to 1/4 inch or so, whatever looks acceptable to you.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilling24x7 View Post
For the brisket I was thinking about slicing it on Saturday, placing it in an aluminum tin in the fridge and then Sunday reheating it with some sauce at 200-250 degrees?
I agree with all suggestions here. Personally I only slice brisket to order when I'm serving it. Also I serve sauce on the side only.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
Fever
On the road to being a farker

I did pretty much the same thing for last weekends public undressing of Tim Tebow. Same set up but I did the flat on the top rack of the WSM because I started them at the same time and knew it would be done quicker than the butt & figured it would be easier to handle on the top rack. When the flat was done and resting put the temp probe in the butt to continue to cook. Both came out great, I don't think it is going to matter to much in terms of taste.

Go Pats!!
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #14
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever View Post
I did pretty much the same thing for last weekends public undressing of Tim Tebow. Same set up but I did the flat on the top rack of the WSM because I started them at the same time and knew it would be done quicker than the butt & figured it would be easier to handle on the top rack. When the flat was done and resting put the temp probe in the butt to continue to cook. Both came out great, I don't think it is going to matter to much in terms of taste.

Go Pats!!
You celebrated a naked Tim Tebow?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

agree with all said. it was already said but just to reiterate make sure the fat cap on the briskie is facing down towards the coals to act as a heat shield. you will be eating one dry flat is you do it the other way around especially with nothing under the briskie to shield it from the coals. also, the briskie will probably done first and remember the temp on the grate with the briskie will be hotter than the temp for the grate with the pork shoulder. i have never used a wsm, but i assume it is pretty similar to my uds, that when you put a lot of meat on initially the temp of the cooker usually drops a bit so i would wait for the cooker to get to at least 275, if not 300, when you first put the meat on if you want to have your cook temp at 250 because the cold meat will bring down the temp of the cooker. good luck and post plenty of pron!

Tags
brisket, butt over brisket, costco