seasoning / curring rusted dry Traeger

pne123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I bought a traeger deluxe (bbq100) off of craigslist. The inside is all rusted. Mainly just surface rust. The fire pot cover is a bit more rusted and flaky. I am thinking I should recure the inside. i was going to clean it all w/ a wire brush and then reseason as if new. Does this sound like the right approach? I have had a gosm and that thing had so much goo on the inside it will never rust but the traeger w/ the drip tray stays so clean. Should i season the inside on a regular basis?

Read your previous thread on this. Glad you pulled the trigger on it.
I have never had a Traeger, but I certainly dont think seasoning the inside of it would be a bad thing. I'm sure someone else will pipe in.
As far as seasoning it regularly after that, I think that if the seasoning isn't flaking off or anything, just leave it. When you cook on it, enough fat will probably aerosolize (is that really a word?) and just continuously season the pit.

Good to see you around here again!

Read your previous thread on this. Glad you pulled the trigger on it.
I have never had a Traeger, but I certainly dont think seasoning the inside of it would be a bad thing. I'm sure someone else will pipe in.
As far as seasoning it regularly after that, I think that if the seasoning isn't flaking off or anything, just leave it. When you cook on it, enough fat will probably aerosolize (is that really a word?) and just continuously season the pit.

Good to see you around here again!

thanks. I think this guy just used it for hotdogs and burgers so it never got a layer of goo on it so it is rusted more than i was expecting. I am sure that the tritips, pork butts, ribs and ect will get it a nice layer of oil on it so it will stop rusting.

Good to see you still on here. my mom just got home from pardeeville...

When I got my GMG it was preburned and to season it I brushed the insides with some vegetable oil and cooked up a few pork butts. I have used it most days for the past several months and have done nothing further. I do cook ribs, brisket, beef roasts, butts, pizza, burgers, etc., but most of the cooking is at the lower (220-240) temps. There is a nice coating on the inside but nothing too thick or gooey or too thin where I'm worried about rust. I'd do the brushing to remove the surface rust, then the oil and cook a few butts or bacon with some fat in them. Then just monitor it.

Back