Contest Results Moniteau County Fair (California, MO) August 7-8, 2009

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK you Central Missouri MoFo's! Who's gonna be at California? I gotta do this one since I grew up there! It'll be like a homecoming for me. :wink: Mark and Becky I'm sure will be there.

Jeff I won't be there but Gene will be. He wanted to cook this one with just himself and his sister. Stop by and tell him hey. He is pretty shy and doesn't socialize much. Take it easy on him, this is the first time in 4 years he's cooked solo.:shock:

What's the details on this one? How many teams can they handle, space sizes, and entry fee?

I'd like to do it, but I don't think I can take the time from work. Plus it would put me at six in a row. However, I bet it will be a BLAST just based on who will likely be there.

Todd, I'm not sure of all the details other than it's $175 for the four categories and $15 for people's choice (no details known yet on this) and $10 for Kids Q. I have emailed the organizer and am waiting for answers to several questions, including electricity, space size and what surface it's on. One of the organizers is Burl Lutz who Mark works for/with so I'm sure with Mark's input, the contest should be cooker friendly and well-run. I'll post more when I hear something back.
What's the details on this one? How many teams can they handle, space sizes, and entry fee?

I'd like to do it, but I don't think I can take the time from work. Plus it would put me at six in a row. However, I bet it will be a BLAST just based on who will likely be there.

Todd, I'm not sure of all the details other than it's $175 for the four categories and $15 for people's choice (no details known yet on this) and $10 for Kids Q. I have emailed the organizer and am waiting for answers to several questions, including electricity, space size and what surface it's on. One of the organizers is Burl Lutz who Mark works for/with so I'm sure with Mark's input, the contest should be cooker friendly and well-run. I'll post more when I hear something back.

Randy and I have known Burl, first through Mark, for a few years. Hardest working man in BBQ. It is great when cooks are organizers.

The other organizer was a classmate of mine when I lived in California from Kindergarten through 8th grade. He's the one I emailed because Burl said he doesn't get to see his emails often enough. Still waiting this morning... but I did mail my entry today.

Teresa and i have talked about it.......I gotta get through this week at work, and BCF, then maybe give it some consideration.

Oh come on, Gary! You gotta give me another shot to beat you in chicken! :wink:
We'll never be the chicken cooks you are!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last year, I could do no wrong with brisket and could do no right with pork....this year, well..........has anyone seen my brisket? LOL I'm turning it in, but the judges don't seem to see it! LOL
I ain't changed a damn thing! So either the judges tastes have changed, I'm hitting the wrong tables, or what I really think is happening.....everyone has gotten better with their brisket!!!

We'll never be the chicken cooks you are!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

:lol: It seems I recall a beating just last month: :lol:

Chicken:
1 IN DEEP SAUCE
2 SPICE WINE IRON WORKS :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
3 THE SMOKING HILLS
4 BIG CREEK BBQ
5 MAD HOGS AND AN ENGLISHM
6 MOO COW
7 SMOKE THIS BBQ
8 TEAM Q
9 EAGLE CREEK SMOKERS
10 GREAT GRILLS OF FIRE

At this point, I'd say we are doubtful.....that is the weekend that fall Hunting classic kicks off at work, and it is a manditory work period.....but let me see if I can twist some nipples, I mean arms, and see what I can do.

Sent off about 5 or 6 questions to one of the organizers on Saturday evening. No response yet. Hmmm...

Answers to what I asked...

Fan's Favorite (people's choice) can be cooked ahead of time and handed out to the public (kind of seems like WE do that but I'm working to clarify - I prefer blind and THEY hand it out or I can't do it). $15 to enter, winner takes all. He said they may add more prize money to it which makes me think he has very few entered. EDIT: Clarified: We pass the food out from our sites. Hmmm... might be tough for us to do.

Kids Q - Turn-in is 7:30 pm on Friday evening. Cook any ground meat. Cash payouts to winners and medals to all entrants. Use own grill (must be wood/charcoal). Six individual pieces turned in.

Contest is on grass - not much shade! Sites are approximately 20x30.

20 amp electric available about every 100 feet so bring plenty of power cord.

Water will be delivered to the sites and 4-H kids will bring around ice for sale. Liquor store will deliver if needed (uh oh! :shock: )

They are thinking they'll have 25 to 30 teams. First year sanctioned contest only needs 15 teams to be a qualifier. I did not ask him if he got governor's proclamation.

Last edited:
Hey Jeff,
Nathan (Brewmaster) and I are thinking about doing it. We are needing some details. Isn't Amy having something to do with this one?

She's listed as one of those involved ("sidekick" according to their info flyer). Burl Lutz and Ken Wolken are the main guys the way I understand it. Do you guys have the entry form yet?

She's listed as one of those involved ("sidekick" according to their info flyer). Burl Lutz and Ken Wolken are the main guys the way I understand it. Do you guys have the entry form yet?
Nope,ain't got one. Do you have one? I can run by and get one from Burl if I need to. What do we cook? Hot dogs and hamburgers? I always wanted to do a contest so this will be fun!

Back