MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Considerations on stick-burners:
1. Have access to plenty of seasoned wood.
2. Be willing to stay up and tend the beast
3. Make sure it has the capacity you need
4. Refer to #1.

I have a stick-burner. I have catered with it and done parties with it. But, there are times a trailer mounted pellet pooper or other cooker requiring less TLC would have been most appreciated.

Quite true! Your points are hard to argue. 75% of my gigs are going to require ribs, salmon, chix or trip-tip. I rarely get request for brisket and pulled pork!

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Quite true! Your points are hard to argue. 75% of my gigs are going to require ribs, salmon, chix or trip-tip. I rarely get request for brisket and pulled pork!
Yep. Menu makes a difference.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #18
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post

I have a stick-burner. I have catered with it and done parties with it. But, there are times a trailer mounted pellet pooper or other cooker requiring less TLC would have been most appreciated.
Thats all i'm saying, i LOVE cooking on a stick burner but for large scale catering and vending, simplicity would be more cost effective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
You are a lil more high end than us BBQ snobs. Yet i have learned so much from you BB!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #19
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Dave nailed it...
if capacity is an issue, it is hard to beat a Kingfisher... with the additional racks, they hold a ton of food, and are mobile. They are also a rotisserie, which helps via self basting,etc. they turn out great food.

The FEC's are the utmost in "set it and forget it" -- they will cook, and then hold. And they cook the same - all the time - cold/hot, rain/snow.... rock solid. I can leave in the morning after putting a load of butts in at 200 - come home from work and pull them out, cooked to perfection. It will not hold as much, but requires less tending, so you might still get more cooked in the same amount of time...

You can get an FEC for almost 2K less than your limit... so you should be able to set it up on a trailer however you like for under 5K (if you need the trailer.)

Dave gave you a link to Bob at KCK.com. He's got Kingfishers, FECs, Southern styles, etc. He might also have some ideas for you - if you tell him the specifics of what you are doing. He knows all the cookers inside and out. He also typically gives Brethren a nice discount. I believe it is 15% currently.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

This thread seems mighty familiar.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #21
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
This thread seems mighty familiar.
yea, we need to sticky one of these that has the most varied info in it... seems alot of people buying pits lately. :)

Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #22
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The DPP Fat 70 has a ton of real estate per dollar. It can also be set up as a massive direct grill. It is a really flexible unit, which is important for catering...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #23
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I think I may stick with a spicewine. I love the product they put out and they are very easy to tend to. I have a medium and will probably get a custom made. I spoke with Jay last night and I am suppose to go over the details today. I will let you know what we come up with. Thanks everyone.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
TWISTED PIG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

My thought is, if you are thinking of doing this all the time you will want somthing like an Ole' Hickory or Sothern Pride, unless you are doing compititions, if that is the case you CAN"T use those. The best part of those is you set it befor bed, wake up, & its done ! I do onsite cooking, so I use something with a little flare, I built a Lang clone 84 D. Folks that are paying you WANT to see you tend a fire, & do a little sweat'n. Thats why I charge a little more .... they get the show.
TWISTED PIG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

for 5k i know where you can get a fe 750 this is not a joke

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #26
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

If for catering... I would definitely be looking for something that is set and forget. I don't want to be babysitting my stickburner for every catering job I land. Ole Hickory CTO would be a good choice for that price... can fit about 30 butts.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
That's a great deal, those things are monsters...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #28
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
I would buy that in a heartbeat, and give you a grand for it,,,,,

heck I'll pay that for a 500!

no joke
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #29
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default kooker

here is the inside of mine, great for parties as fill size steam trays fit inside..

Last edited by BigBellyBBQ; 01-18-2014 at 10:54 AM..
BigBellyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #30
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
If for catering... I would definitely be looking for something that is set and forget. I don't want to be babysitting my stickburner for every catering job I land. Ole Hickory CTO would be a good choice for that price... can fit about 30 butts.
No doubt. You got enough to worry about when it comes to running a catering business. Your time is much better spent doing something else than tending a fire.