Type of sugar you use in rubs...

chefman316

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What time of sugar do you put in your rubs? Any reason to use one type over the other? (flavor, caramelizing, granular size...)???

I have used turbinado, brown sugar, and white granulated sugars. Right now I'm experimenting with Honey Powder.

If I making it to sell or give out, I'd use turbinado since it doesn't clump. If I'm making it at home, I use brown sugar.

Turbinado, or dried brown sugar (preheat oven to 250°F, spread out sugar on cookie sheet, place in oven, then turn off and let sit for 20 minutes. Alternately, spread out on cookie sheet and place in dry area for 24 hours)

I do the most natural sugars but the caramelization temps matter also....see this

Different sugars caramelize at different temps, and the exact temp can vary depending on how pure the sugar is. Caramelization of fructose (fruit sugar) begins at about 230°F, and most other common sugars such as sucrose, or table sugar, start to caramelize at about 320°F. Boiling sweet sauces or exposing them to flame can create a caramel undertone, and browning sweet vegetables like onion or corn, can add depth to their flavor. Think grilled onions.

Back