MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Default Okay... I need a griddle

I have no idea why I've waited so dang long, but I want to pick up a griddle this week. My first thought went right to the Blackstone. I realized I have about $400 worth of BassPro gift cards that I've amassed because that's what everyone always gets me. I was thinking they might also carry Blackstone and I could just pick it up there. What I did find was the their RedHead brand of griddle.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...ductextensions

It seems like a very nice piece of equipment, but wanted to get the hives takes on it vs. the Blackstone.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Moosefire66
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : rich

I have neither, but the cooking steel on the redhead shows it's roughly 1/5 of an inch. I assumed they were thicker... just something to ponder. Looks good other than that to me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Moosefire66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Blizzard
On the road to being a farker

Yeah, 5mm, that doesn’t seem very thick. Is it braced underneath somehow?

I don’t have a Blackstone, how thick is it’s cooking surface?

One nice thing about Bass Pro is their customer service. Oh! Wait....what about. Cabelas? Can the B.P. Cards be used there now?
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #4
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

Well, I think the Blackstone is 7 guage which is about the same I think... maybe slightly thinner if I do my math right. Other things to consider..

Pro- Blackstone
1) Folding cart
2) 100 more sq inches of cooking area

Pro-Redhead
1) Appears to be build like a tank

Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
itschris
Full Fledged Farker

The more I think about it, the Blackstone just may be the way to go. I went on their site and I didn't realize all the nice accessories they have. The grill top is a nice add-on as is the surround table. The only issue is... everything worthwhile appears out of stock.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris View Post
The more I think about it, the Blackstone just may be the way to go. I went on their site and I didn't realize all the nice accessories they have. The grill top is a nice add-on as is the surround table. The only issue is... everything worthwhile appears out of stock.
Blackstone has recently changed their design. They moved the drain to the rear of the griddle, to prevent the grease splatter, that so many people complained about. To my understanding the surround, does not work with the new style griddle. Not for sure about the metal cover. If you aren't in a hurry, my opinion would be, wait until BS goes on sale again. I just picked up the 36" for $199, have seen this deal many times over the last year, I;m sure it will be back.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

I've been wanting a Blackstone for awhile but I just don't have the space. I settled for an Ozark Trail (Lodge LPG13) knock off for now.
Old Smokey Electric.
Blackstone 22.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
defence18
On the road to being a farker

If you're a prime member, the Blackstone is $210.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Ou...lackstone&th=1

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
Smokie185
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschris View Post
I have no idea why I've waited so dang long, but I want to pick up a griddle this week. My first thought went right to the Blackstone. I realized I have about $400 worth of BassPro gift cards that I've amassed because that's what everyone always gets me. I was thinking they might also carry Blackstone and I could just pick it up there. What I did find was the their RedHead brand of griddle.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...ductextensions

It seems like a very nice piece of equipment, but wanted to get the hives takes on it vs. the Blackstone.
How many people do you usually cook for? I have a Camp Chef 36 inch griddle that I love, but I also have a 17 inch Blackstone that I use most. It is good for two people but sometimes I wish it was a bit bigger. I am now thinking about one of these.

https://www.outdoorcooking.com/produ...grill-475.html

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/p...e-top-griddle/

If you cook for 4 or more, go for the a 36 inch.