MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
FreeDivr
On the road to being a farker

Default Igniter issue

Hello brethren,

I took a break from the world wide web for a while, it was nice to clear my mind of electronic interference for a bit lol. Anyhow, I had to inject some bbq reading back into the mix and just wanted to say hello again. Please tell me there is a brethren trade coming soon!?!?

For those of you out there with a Yoder....I went to start a pork shoulder this weekend and the YS640 starting singing its subtle song of pellets dropping into the burn box but to my surprise, after a lengthy wait, I investigated the burn box to find no flame. No heat either. It appears my igniter decided to retire and is no longer working, ugh!

I went online this morning and see they have a new ceramic igniter available, anybody replaced theirs? Thoughts? Review?

Old 10-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #2
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDivr View Post
Please tell me there is a brethren trade coming soon!?!?
In reference to a new trade round, look for a post about it tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDivr View Post
For those of you out there with a Yoder....I went to start a pork shoulder this weekend and the YS640 starting singing its subtle song of pellets dropping into the burn box but to my surprise, after a lengthy wait, I investigated the burn box to find no flame. No heat either. It appears my igniter decided to retire and is no longer working, ugh!

I went online this morning and see they have a new ceramic igniter available, anybody replaced theirs? Thoughts? Review?
I'm waiting for my YS640's igniter to die so that I can replace it with the new one. I'd do it before then, but I don't want to take the thing apart while it's still working.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
I'm waiting for my YS640's igniter to die so that I can replace it with the new one. I'd do it before then, but I don't want to take the thing apart while it's still working.
Order ahead of time, and save time.
(Unless you expect a "New and Improved" model... )

I had a leak (OK, a stream) of water in the I/O engine in my Pontoon Boat. I bought a water pump and went to work on the beach.
Turned out, a bolt had backed out, and left a hole open to the cooling water.
Because of where it was, when the engine was running it spurted water on the water pump pulley and fooled me into thinking the seal was gone.
So, a new bolt installed, and I have a spare water pump under the seat I store my Grandpa's stuff in. (Down-riggers, weights, Grandpa stuff, and a brand new Mercruiser water pump.)

Old 10-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
FreeDivr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGrimbo View Post
In reference to a new trade round, look for a post about it tomorrow.

Awesome!

I'm gonna order it this weekend, I will review.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
zippy12
is One Chatty Farker

dont have that issue in my stick burner

Old 10-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
FreeDivr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy12 View Post
dont have that issue in my stick burner
Thank you for the update lol.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:10 AM   #7
raycollazo
Knows what a fatty is.

My buddy changed his and it makes a big difference. Its always good to have a spare igniter as well, if yer a competitor anyway. You could always light manually and go forth with the cook too.
raycollazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

I changed mine a couple weeks ago and honestly I didn’t notice a huge difference in start up time.

I do like that the new igniter doesn’t have the heating element touching the pellets though, I think this new ceramic will last the life of the cooker now.

I plan on upgrading to the new burn grate soon as well to see if that changes the start up time any.