MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
fortydegnorth
Found some matches.

Default Whole hog, processed price per pound?

My wife's family and I have an opportunity to get a couple hogs. My father in law works with a guy that raises them. He has made him a deal to sell us two, 250# pigs for $.65 a pound. I need to get the specifics but I think this is the pig whole, not hanging weight. He is charging $35 extra to butcher and my in-laws are going over to help with that. By the time it's gutted and all the butchered I know we won't get anywhere near 250# but I figured maybe 150#? Even then it would only be $1.10 or so per pound. Does this sound like a good deal? I've seen hogs sold locally for a lot more.
fortydegnorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds about right to me.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

In Beijing pork price is more than $2 per pound.
remember our salary level is $500 to $1000 per month
jealous!
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
superdan
Full Fledged Farker

When you say "butcher" is that just slaughter or actually turn it into cuts? I just did two hogs I raised on Thursday and I paid more than what you're paying on feed alone. I take my hogs to a butcher for final processing and that part is $0.69 a pound. Throw in feed and I'm way over your cost. I would guess your 250 lbs on the hoof would be around 175 hanging weight, ballpark. Sounds like a winning deal to me...
superdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
fortydegnorth
Found some matches.

That's butchered into cuts. It's a screaming deal in my opinion. The guy is not a professional butcher but he has a good reputation and nice equipment. This is not his normal price either, it's more of a "buddy" deal.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

That's a smoking deal ~ pun intended!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Last pig I bought worked out just over $2.50/lb after purchase, kill fee, butchering fee and taxes. So in the low $1 range is KILLER.
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
phil c
Full Fledged Farker

we sold hogs this year for $120 on the hoof, Hangin weight was just over 100Lbs. The the locker charges $20 for kill and $.46LB. for cutting with cured, smoked, and sausage products cosing a bit more.
Yes Its pricey but the customers we have are more concerned with "happy Hogs" raised on pasture with no antibiotics or hormones.
I'd say your getting a pretty good deal.
phil c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, that deal has him losing money. It would be rude to turn down an offer like that.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

BTW the last 8 weeks old piglet I bought cost way more than you are paying total.

It had papers and was a Berk, but come on.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Yeah thats crazy cheap. Im getting a hog Friday that I've got to process myself and its still $1.59lb.
Bourbon Barrel BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
fortydegnorth
Found some matches.

I'm going to double check with my in-laws before I sign on to this. I know it's a crazy good deal but I also think if something seems too good to be true......., well you know. I sure hope it's just a great deal because a freezer full of pig is never a bad thing.