Pizza Sunday

halfprice

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I got my Big Sky Grilling stone this week so I had to give it a try. But after reading a lot of posts about Mac & Cheese I thought I would smoke that first at 250* then kick up the temp to 500* for the pizza.

First the m&c.

2011-11-13_14-14-55_249.jpg

I kick it up a bit by adding some hot sauce and chiles. I did a half batch because the wife doesn't care for it and this will still last me a couple of days.

On the egg at 250* for 1 1/2 hours.

2011-11-13_14-21-43_248.jpg

2011-11-13_16-29-47_118.jpg

Then came the pizza. Olives, mushroom, peperoni, feta cheese, and this time we added some goat cheese. They came out great.

2011-11-13_16-59-51_14.jpg

2011-11-13_17-18-47_449.jpg

2011-11-13_17-18-52_943.jpg

2011-11-13_17-20-55_398.jpg

Here's the pizzas on the new stone.

2011-11-13_17-07-49_449.jpg

Next time I'lll need to make the pizzas oblong instead of round. Two fit on the new stone but they were to close together.

Jerry

Sensational looking Pizza Jerry! Nice combination of ingredients!

Bill

Looks great.

How did you get the pizzas off that wax paper? onto the stone?

Its parchment paper. I let the pizzas cook for about 2 minutes then slid the paper off. I used a big spatula to help slide them off.

This was the first time trying the paper. I've read many posts here suggesting this and it was a great tip.

Jerry

I'm almost embarrassed to say the dough is the Walmart pizza mix. Just add water. I did use a tip I saw on a Pizza forum. THe instructions say let the dough rest for 5 minutes then roll. The pizza site said to let the dough rest for 2 hours. I did this and it worked much better.

I have thought about making my dough but its time consuming and I would have to knead the dough by hand. I dont have a mixer and stand. I might try to do my own one day and make a lot then freeze the extra.

Your recipe looks good to me and seems like a common one. I still have two packs of the Walmart mix. When thats done maybe its time for home made.

Jerry

have you posted your pizza dought recipe anywhere? or do you buy it?

I have used this recipe and the dough is really good, but I have a hard time streching the dough, it wants to pull back together. Was wandering if anyone might have some tips on how to fix that.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-signature-pizza-crust/detail.aspx

Have you tried letting the dough relax for 10-15 minutes before you start stretching into your crust? I noticed on the recipe it does not call for that.

I'm almost embarrassed to say the dough is the Walmart pizza mix. Just add water. I did use a tip I saw on a Pizza forum. THe instructions say let the dough rest for 5 minutes then roll. The pizza site said to let the dough rest for 2 hours. I did this and it worked much better.

I have thought about making my dough but its time consuming and I would have to knead the dough by hand. I dont have a mixer and stand. I might try to do my own one day and make a lot then freeze the extra.

Your recipe looks good to me and seems like a common one. I still have two packs of the Walmart mix. When thats done maybe its time for home made.

Jerry

I have been using the Olive Oil Dough from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I hand mix it in a large bowl. It takes me longer to put the ingredients into the bowl than it takes to mix the dough. There is no kneading of this dough, just let it rise for a couple hours and then it is ready to use. This book is a great reference for bread baking. Also the full recipe makes about 4 12" pizzas and will keep in the fridge for about 12 days.

I use that recipe too, Bryan.
It is a beaut!
Also artisan bread recipe, genius!

Have you tried letting the dough relax for 10-15 minutes before you start stretching into your crust? I noticed on the recipe it does not call for that.

I have been using the Olive Oil Dough from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day". I hand mix it in a large bowl. It takes me longer to put the ingredients into the bowl than it takes to mix the dough. There is no kneading of this dough, just let it rise for a couple hours and then it is ready to use. This book is a great reference for bread baking. Also the full recipe makes about 4 12" pizzas and will keep in the fridge for about 12 days.

Yes, I've let is rest longer than that. Is it possible to over knead the bread? I read something that the more you knead the more "bubbles" you can form becuase you are streching the gluten.

I've though about purchasing that book, I think I will now.

Jerry

Like Pyle said, it really doesn't take long to make. Just giving it the time to rise. And you can keep it stored in the fridge for a while. I can tell you that the crust does have a really good flavor. I just wish I could get it a thinner.

very nice - it would be handy to be able to cook 2 pizzas at once.

I'm going to try this on my next pies. I'll be going to the store to get the ingrediants. Can you freeze this dough?? I usually only need two pizzas so this would be great to freeze the other two. Will it hold up or will freezing ruin the dough??

Jerry

Back