MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker
 
cmwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Location: Villisca Iowa
Default I've been a bad boy

I admit it has been over a month since I have used my main UDS. I have been grilling on the Weber though. I was prepping it this morning for some St Louis spare ribs and a batch of Keri's beans, for a pot luck dinner for my sons track team later today, when I noticed a large patch of mold on the bottom of the drum from the last cook (I assume drippings). I took my drum and hosed it out and then patted dry the bottom with paper towels and am now in the cooking process. Was this necessary? I was worried the mold would taint the meat and maybe make someone sick?
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote




Old 06-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker
 
smokedinvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-12-10
Location: Springfield, VT
Default

Cmwr - I think you did the right thing. I am not sure the mold would have left a real "flavor" but better safe than sorry. And for sure, the right thing to do from a sanitary standpoint. My two cents anyway.
__________________
Time to change the drool bib - MAN that is some good lookin' Q!
smokedinvt is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default

Mold happens :) The best thing to do is clean it out and then give the cooker a high heat burn to kill any remaining mold spores.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

SAVE THE DATE!!! Saturday, January 25, 2020 - BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #4
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 09-02-12
Location: Kentucky
Default

This is one reason I have a weed burner. Heat is the best sanitizer of all and I would have burned it off. Mold is definitely a concern at lower cooking temperatures. The thing with bacteria is it may look clean but the bacteria is still there. A little time spent burning the inside of the drum is time well spent.
__________________
XL Big Green Egg, Weber kettles, WSM 22.5" and Pellet Pro adapter
ajstrider is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker
 
cmwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Location: Villisca Iowa
Default

So the fact that I am cooking in it now without having done a burn out is ok? I hope so.....
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Ron_L
Moderator
 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default

You let the fire get up to temp for while before putting on the meat, right? I think you're fine
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

SAVE THE DATE!!! Saturday, January 25, 2020 - BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Mid Winter Lunch

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker
 
cmwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Location: Villisca Iowa
Default

yes I let it burn for about 25 minutes or so with the lid off then when I put the meat on and put the lid on it's slowly climbs but it was around 225 to 250 degrees for a bit until I crack some more intake and got it up to 300. But since when it was warming up the heat was traveling upwards and out it didn't fully dry out the little bit of water that was still in the crust on the bottom of the drum.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 09-02-12
Location: Kentucky
Default

I think your fine, if any bacteria survived it would have to travel through the high heat area to getto the food, and it probably wouldn't survive that. I might do a higher heat burnout when you are all done just to be sure for next time. I highly recommend a weed burner though.
__________________
XL Big Green Egg, Weber kettles, WSM 22.5" and Pellet Pro adapter
ajstrider is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker
 
cmwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Location: Villisca Iowa
Default

I will have to look into a leaf burner.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
agoldswo
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 03-18-12
Location: Ishpeming
Default

you can get one from Harbor Freight for around 20 bucks, best investment i've made!
agoldswo is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker
 
smokedinvt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-12-10
Location: Springfield, VT
Default

If I remember my high school biology right, most bacteria can't withstand anything above 180 degrees for five minutes. I think you're fine.
Was there any after-affects with anyone who ate with you?
__________________
Time to change the drool bib - MAN that is some good lookin' Q!
smokedinvt is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker
 
cmwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Location: Villisca Iowa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedinvt View Post
If I remember my high school biology right, most bacteria can't withstand anything above 180 degrees for five minutes. I think you're fine.
Was there any after-affects with anyone who ate with you?
No body got sick. So I will remember this as a lesson.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts