Byte through skin w/o scraping....

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So... I vowed never to scrape chick thigh skin ever again. In fact, I switched to legs with a new process and did incredibly well in the few comps I turned them in at... fast forward to now:

I have a comp that is REQUIRING chicken thighs only for the chicken category. :rolleyes:

I know the technique to foil the pan with soem butter and cook skin-side down, but any other suggestions? I WILL NOT scrape thighs again! :wacko:

What you cook on has a direct impact on end product. What pit are you using

Jaccard tenderizer. I bought one before my last comp. Trimmed the thighs, used the jaccard, cooked as I normally would. Chicken came out with great tenderness and bite through skin.

Jaccard tenderizer. I bought one before my last comp. Trimmed the thighs, used the jaccard, cooked as I normally would. Chicken came out with great tenderness and bite through skin.

Very interesting. The skin doesnt rip from the multiple holes and weak spots?

rb

Harry Soo has a youtube video where he compares the Jaccard method to scraping and just leaving the skin alone. He also factored in food glue. I can't remember all of his results because he had MANY variables.

I dont scrape and dont jaccard, and skin is bite through. I cook at 300, start skin side up, flip 3/4 of the way through and flip back after about 15m, then finish skin side up. Total cook time is about 2.25 hrs.

I don’t “scrape” per say, but I do get the big hunks of fat off of the skin so it’s at least an even thickness across. But not paper thin at all. I cook in a foil half pan of butter. Make sure the foil lid is on tight so no steam escapes.

http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/basted-competition-thighs/

That post is a few years old but still authored by a guy who won chicken team of the year once. Rumor has it, he might have even won KCBS TOY once......

Things have evolved a little since this was written but the concept stays the same. It's a great place to start.

Back