• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pollo Asado Mexico Style--Can You Do It?

vnmg331

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Today for lunch I ate at another one of these places set up along the street. I lived in Mexico for 5 years and honestly did not like chicken until I started eating pollo asado. It's grilled over carbon and tastes awesome. You can buy either a half or whole chicken. Through the years I have tried different recipes and just can't seem to get anything close. Has anyone here ever emulated it? Pollo Loco and Pollo Feliz are some of the restaurants that have it. In Mexico they use a smaller chicken. I don't think these big chickens work to well. I guess I'm lookng for another recipe to try it again.

I've done decent, but not repeated it very well. Probably due to the cervezas during the cook.

It is a pretty straight forward recipe, Your problem is probably, the chicken itself. Try finding some good free range chickens. Most of the chickens in the store, are bred for fast growth, not flavor.

Part of the secret is just simple chicken with simple rubs, most of those pollo asados in Mexico and especially along the border use basically salt n pepper with Achiote (Annatto).
Try a simple seasonal like McCormicks or Lawrys (very salty so careful with that one).
The other secret is the actual "carbon" which is mesquite lump charcoal. and direct grilling over the fire.
One of the best chicken rubs I have ever used is from Chef Merito out of California and it already has the annatto so it makes the chicken look yellow. This comanpy also has several other great rubs with the latin flavor print, great stuff right out of the shakers.

https://www.chefmerito.com/Category/List?intCat=95&strCat=SEASONINGS

Enjoy

Back