Suggestions on how to impart heat (spice) without modifying flavor?!?!?

Digi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a sauce recipe that is perfect in flavor, but I want to get some heat in there without modifying the flavor at all. I thought about peppers but I don't want that flavor in there. Is there is tasteless way to add heat, or am i just chasing my tail here?

I use one of the ultra hot sauces (Dave's Insanity, Blair's Sudden Death, etc.) and only add a drop or two - does not really flavor the sauce just kicks up the HEAT! Use this method for BBQ sauces, wing sauce and in Chili.

I hate to go with the old standby since I'm a chili head, but cayenne tends to add heat a little later on your taste buds, not up front like black pepper and many chilis do. I can usually tell when the heat is coming from cayenne in that I can taste the other spices first, then the heat kind of sneaks in on the backside. That is assuming that you don't use too much of it though. If not that I'd go with the other suggestion, get a hot as hell habanero sauce and only use a few drops of it.

There's a "old reliable" ... Instantaneous Combustion.

One drop... diluted.

Float a whole habanero is your sauce while cooking. Toss it out when your done cooking. This will add heat without adding much of the chili flavor.

What kinda' sauce?...Like Saiko said cayenne will add heat...Or if you want more heat with less added(in my opinion)McCormick chipotle chile pepper goes a long way.

firecrackerjack

It's a peach sauce that I got from here... I've modified it a little and got it the way I like it, but would like to have a little something on the back end. I'm not lookin to set my face a blaze, just a little somtin somtin, to make it go shizzam... :icon_clown

Cayenne would probably be your best bet with the peach. White pepper might also be a possibility. Remember, heat and spice are two different things. There are lots of spices that aren't hot at all.

Cayenne would probably be your best bet with the peach. White pepper might also be a possibility. Remember, heat and spice are two different things. There are lots of spices that aren't hot at all.

exactly... that's what i'm lookin for... just some heat (put "spice" so as not to confuse it with "temp" heat) ... keyword there is some... i like my face, and a** for that matter... :biggrin:

Digi.........................;}-

If all you want is the heat, I would suggest going to a store that sells hot sauces and ask for Capsacian,pure heat-about $5,but nothing but heat.:twisted:
Hope I gave an idea.

I concure. Pure Cap ( brand of capsasin ) is the way to go. All heat not much flavor. A little goes a long way. Be carefull with this.

Agreed Pure Cap is great and can be found on ebay although small amounts are expensive. I haven't found it as cheap as bbqfans has. Look for an extract and not a sauce.

Two of the five I use..

15n4wm0.jpg

I bought a tube a dried African Devil peppers. All you do is take one or two of them out and rub them with your fingers over the dish. Nice heat and no flavor change. Just make sure you was your hands. :eek::oops::biggrin:

I bought a tube a dried African Devil peppers. All you do is take one or two of them out and rub them with your fingers over the dish. Nice heat and no flavor change. Just make sure you was your hands. :eek::oops::biggrin:

Bigdog had a hot dog, pass it on!:biggrin:

here ya go.

dip the very tip of a toothpick in it and touch it to your tongue. Your teeth will go numb.

For a week.

adds NO flavor to a dish.

Description
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Left_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
DBox_Border_Right_Top.gif
clear1x1.gif
Scoville Rating of 500,000 Units, is the original additive that allows you to quickly heat up a dish, without changing the flavor profile. It can NOT be directly consumed without harm to humans. This sauce is 100 Times Hotter than a Jalapeno - A Mixture of vegetable oil & capsaicin, we demand that you sign a waiver before we will sell you this sauce. This sauce is so lethal it comes in a medicine bottle, with an eye dropper.

Agree with Saiko, to a Peach sauce, just a small amount of cayenne pepper will get
a nice warm after-burn without too much pepper flavor (none up front).

Back