Who Cooks the Giblets?

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
One of our customers wants the giblets from the turkey they ordered cooked to pick up on Thanksgiving. I've never cooked them and have no idea how to go about it. I didn't see anything here about cooking them, so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone have a go-to method of doing the giblets that doesn't take a rocket scientist? 'Cause I'm not real bright.

One of our customers wants the giblets from the turkey they ordered cooked to pick up on Thanksgiving. I've never cooked them and have no idea how to go about it. I didn't see anything here about cooking them, so I thought I'd ask. Does anyone have a go-to method of doing the giblets that doesn't take a rocket scientist? 'Cause I'm not real bright.
Growing up my mom would always make giblet gravy. The giblets were never really prepared as a dish though. I guess just put them on a wire rack and cook till done. I cant imagine it would take very long.

I would braise them in a liquid. I personally don't smoke Turkey for thanksgiving, but if thats how you are Cooking your Turkey's, then put the giblets in a water pan with some turkey stock (kitchen basics sells turkey stock this time of year) Anyway, the giblets will be very flavorful and tender, and you will have some really good drippings for gravy.

I would even go as far as serving the giblets in the gravy.

I would braise them in a liquid. I personally don't smoke Turkey for thanksgiving, but if thats how you are Cooking your Turkey's, then put the giblets in a water pan with some turkey stock (kitchen basics sells turkey stock this time of year) Anyway, the giblets will be very flavorful and tender, and you will have some really good drippings for gravy.

I would even go as far as serving the giblets in the gravy.

That sounds like a winner!

All my life, indoors the giblets have been cooked in liquid at a simmer for roughly a half hour for snacks. Usually for me.:becky:
I've also thrown them on the kettle indirect until probe tender. Again, as a snack.

Mom used to dice them and bake them in the stuffing. Thinking about that, she must have pre-cooked them, because some of them things are too gristly to be diced when raw.

Mom used to dice them and bake them in the stuffing. Thinking about that, she must have pre-cooked them, because some of them things are too gristly to be diced when raw.
The gizzard. I love them deep fried but at Thanksgiving I usually give that, neck bone, and liver to the dog. He gets a treat too.

Mom would always boil until cooked and diced into the dressing, adds a whole new level of flavor.

I would second braising in a liquid, preferably the turkey drippings. If you aren't stuffing the bird, you may just be able to throw them in the cavity?

You definitely want to simmer or braise the gizzard. I normally simmer the neck, and gizzard, then add the broth, to turkey drippings for gravy and stuffing. Once the gizzard is tender pan sear with the liver, in a little butter. Then chop them up, and add to the dressing or gravy.

I always braise all the giblets/ neck included, chop up and reurn to same water and make gravey. The more the better.

How many birds are you doing for them?? There are only 2 with each bird.

Back