behind the scenes with Mike Mills w/pron

wheels61

Full Fledged Farker
Just got finished with "The Business of Barbecue" at 17th ST BBQ in Murphysboro. its put on by Oncue Consulting, Amy Mills Tunnicliffe and Paul Mackay. what a great time and very informative. i called it bbq fantasy camp. here's a few pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0597.jpg
    DSC_0597.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0536.jpg
    DSC_0536.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC_0539.jpg
    DSC_0539.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC_0541.jpg
    DSC_0541.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 334
What brand of smoker is this?

attachment.php

a few more pics

Attachments

• DSC_0590.jpg
    DSC_0590.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0569.jpg
    DSC_0569.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC_0561.jpg
    DSC_0561.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0551.jpg
    DSC_0551.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC_0549.jpg
    DSC_0549.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC_0591.jpg
    DSC_0591.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 322
the young guy sitting in front of 'Black Betty' is Phil Hern( hope i spelled your name right). he is the Pitmaster. he's the man. it was really cool to be allowed to get in there and watch and actually get to help him with his daily routine cooking all the meat. we cooked on three different ole hickory pits. Mike Mills was in with us quite a bit too. you could basicaally talk to any one in their whole operation. great time and i highly recommend it to anyone.

yeah man! looks like you had a great day. i would love to take a class with him just to listen to him tell barbeque stories about the old days! there is alot of barbeque history in his head. i liked the story in peace love and bbq about the guy who made his favorite bbq when he was a kid by refrying it in a pan. you can really feel the love as he reminices. did he tell any stories? i also found the recipe for the vinagar based sauce that had a thickener in it interesting. don't remember what it was though. what are you gonna do with the knowledge. are you planning on a place?

yeah, there were great stories, and to paraphrase, he loves bbq and thinks about it all day long and it shows in their operation. very detail oriented. nothing left to chance. i just loved beening in there with the pits and loading them up with meat and then later getting to see that beautiful product come out. we cooked some brisket and pork butt with no seasoning at all. you would be amazed at how good it was.

Wow, I'm jealous! I just finished reading "Peace, Love and Barbecue". What a great book, and a great man.

man that's a crap load of trophies. I bet they have a line at their door everyday.

Back