MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
neonlady
Found some matches.

Default Catering for large event, help please!

We have done some catering, but mostly soccer events that are vending events of 1000- 1500 people through the day. Now, We have been asked to quote catering for an event of 600-800 people, which is a corporate sponsored training event to be held outdoors, probably at a local high school or such.

They asked for a hamburgers and hot dogs menu, a couple of sides and drinks.

I am thinking about the mechanics of food cooking onsite for that size of a crowd, and was hoping to present a prepared menu offering, say of pulled pork and pulled BBQ chicken. The trade offs would be faster onsite food delivery / vs a slightly higher plate count. I might be ableto sell them on the concept, but am wondering what people would charge in a scenario such as this.

Outdoor event, probably at a High School or such
two meats, two sides, chips and a drink.
A) Hamburgers & Hot dogs
B) Pulled pork and pulled chicken (thigh meat)
Assorted Cookie dessert plate
We would supply all equipment and paper products
We would set up / break down / clean up
Staff for prep, serving and clean up. I estimate 10 staff members.

In my contract I realize I need to price separately:
Food pp, travel, staff pp, set up fee.... anything else?

How would you estimate for an event like this?
neonlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

That is a huge gig by any standard I have done. Hamburgers and hot dogs I would not have capaicty to grill that much on sit and I don't even do them so I would not know what to tell you there.

For the pulled pork and chicken I would quote chicken thighs myself and not pulled chicken. For me too much labor involved pulling chicken. As for a quote I would quote 2 meats, 2 sides, chips, drink, cookies at between $18-20 per person
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

They're asking for hamburgers and hotdogs. No farken way they'll go for BBQ at the price you'll have to charge.

Pork and chicken (do you know how many chickens you gotta pull and the labor involved???) would go $16.95/pp + $30.00 hr per server + tax + 18% gratuity.

Hamburgers and hotdogs your looking at $10.00?

Im not sure 10 people could pull that off?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
neonlady
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
They're asking for hamburgers and hotdogs. No farken way they'll go for BBQ at the price you'll have to charge.

Pork and chicken (do you know how many chickens you gotta pull and the labor involved???) would go $16.95/pp + $30.00 hr per server + tax + 18% gratuity.

Hamburgers and hot dogs your looking at $10.00?

Im not sure 10 people could pull that off?
My thoughts were that I could use less staff with a prepared product, which could bring me to the staff of 10. Ok, maybe I need more, but that's what I'm on this forum for, to get feedback.

So, I realize there is no way that hamburgers and hot dogs could be done with 10 people. If they must have H & D's then, the staff will be more like 15. (BTW, this is a walk - thru line, not a seated meal.)

What is your $10 figure, just the hamburger and/or dog, or does it include the sides / chips / cookies. It seems pretty low if so.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonlady View Post
My thoughts were that I could use less staff with a prepared product, which could bring me to the staff of 10. Ok, maybe I need more, but that's what I'm on this forum for, to get feedback.

So, I realize there is no way that hamburgers and hot dogs could be done with 10 people. If they must have H & D's then, the staff will be more like 15. (BTW, this is a walk - thru line, not a seated meal.)

What is your $10 figure, just the hamburger and/or dog, or does it include the sides / chips / cookies. It seems pretty low if so.
1 hamburger & hotdog PP with chips, pop & cookie for $10 all day.

What are you calling prepared product? The BBQ?

I would be looking at having several serving lines, thus the extra help.
#detroitporkmafia
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
neonlady
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
1 hamburger & hotdog PP with chips, pop & cookie for $10 all day.

What are you calling prepared product? The BBQ?

I would be looking at having several serving lines, thus the extra help.
Yes the BBQ would be pre-done, so as to just heat and serve. I figured I need two tented areas each with two lines. The service is only between 4 and 6 pm. So we'd need to get them in and out fast.

I am assuming you would add travel, set up and staff onto of that $10, right?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I was faced with a similar dilemna from a repeat "real" bbq customer. I pre-grilled whole hog pork burgers and put on edge in pans to re-heat in my FEC500's and 3 door offset. We did hot dogs with them, beans, chips and cookies plus tea and lemonade. We did 1600 people in an afternoon. We used 7 people plus me. We had it nearly all ready ahead of time and essentially warmed and served on site. We charged right at $10 / head. Profit was in the 45% range after ALL costs.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Yes the BBQ would be pre-done, so as to just heat and serve. I figured I need two tented areas each with two lines. The service is only between 4 and 6 pm. So we'd need to get them in and out fast.

Yes, same as above quote but cheaper meal.
#detroitporkmafia
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
neonlady
Found some matches.

Quote:

Were there any other fees added to this? Staff, travel. etc.?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
neonlady
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
I was faced with a similar dilemna from a repeat "real" bbq customer. I pre-grilled whole hog pork burgers and put on edge in pans to re-heat in my FEC500's and 3 door offset. We did hot dogs with them, beans, chips and cookies plus tea and lemonade. We did 1600 people in an afternoon. We used 7 people plus me. We had it nearly all ready ahead of time and essentially warmed and served on site. We charged right at $10 / head. Profit was in the 45% range after ALL costs.
Another questions, how does one figure the ratio of dogs to burgers at an event? Would you need to provide 100% of each? Say 600 people, then 600 dogs plus 600 burgers? (It doesn't seem right, but just for example sake...)
or would you figure a % of each? Say 60% Burgers and 60% dogs.