• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami and Chuckie Pron...

Mad Max

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Tried a pastrami for the first time and to keep it company on the drum, I also put on a chuckie. The pastrami was a 3.5 lbs., packaged corned beef flat. I soaked it overnight changing the water, about 5 times. After I patted it dried with paper towels, I seasoned with a mix ground coriander, course black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and a touch of nutmeg.

The chuckie was about 4 lbs., it was covered with evoo and rubbed with a chicago steak seasoning and garlic salt. When the smoker was ready, both went on the grill and three garlic heads cut opened drizzled with olive oil and sea salt, wrapped in a foil holder. The smoker ran at about 210-230 degrees, KF and a mix of pecan and cherry wood. The pastrami was taken off at 150 internal and wrapped and put in a cooler for later. The chuckie was foiled at 165 internal and then back on the smoker to 195. It was then foiled with some beef broth and also in the cooler.

Meanwhile, I made Black Jack BBQ Sauce, recommend by n8man, in previous threads. Thanks!!

Pastrami was sliced thin and made in to sammy with rye bread and swiss cheese and mustard. Chuckie was pulled and served with garlic mash taters and Black Jack Sauce. Here is some of the pron.

Attachments

• chuckie2.jpg
    chuckie2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 126
  • past2..jpg
    past2..jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 126
  • chuckie6.jpg
    chuckie6.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 126
  • past.3.jpg
    past.3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 126
  • past.4.jpg
    past.4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 126
  • past.6.jpg
    past.6.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 126
  • chuckie7.jpg
    chuckie7.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 125
  • chuckie9.jpg
    chuckie9.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 126
That is some mighty fine looking pastrami. Good job on the chuckie too.

Excellent job on the Pastrami bro!

Glad to see your PC is working again...

That is some mighty fine looking pastrami. Good job on the chuckie too.
Thanks trp1fox, I followed your advice to soak the corn beef,for at least 4 hours and added potatoes to the water, to help soak some of the salt.

Man serious inspiration to smoke up some pastrami! Great looking chow.

Great looking pastrami.
Looks like yours came out much better than mine. I think I took mine off too soon. It started raining and I pulled it, my UDS has up facing ball valve and rain would go straight in. I know have the 'aluminum foil mod' rain guard installed.

Pastrami Update

Last night, I sliced up the pastrami and made a sammy, but it was a bit tougher than I expected. Today, I found Thirdeye's tips on pastrami and saw the pressure finish tip. So, I took a couple of slices, in the pressure cooker, with 3 cups of beef broth. Ten minutes later, it was done. My wife toasted the rye bread, with garlic butter. Then a little mustard and swiss cheese. Finally, opened up the cooker and the best tasting pastrami I have had, and I grew up in NYC and lived there for 36 years. So trust me, this was the real deal.
Special thanks to All the Brethren Brothers and Sisters for their tips.

Last edited:
that looks great. I have always wanted to try pastrami and corned beef.

Sure How come you only try the good stuff on the weekends that I can't make it down. I'll remember that.

Looked really good.

Back