My wife wants to diet again. Now what?

WBDubya

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just when I was getting into the swing of things with my pellet grill my wife decides she wants to start dieting again. Now don't get me wrong, I need to lose a few pounds as well but there's no way in hell I'm drinking 3 protein shakes a day. She loves rib eyes, pork chops, beef ribs and lamb chops but can't stand the thought of eating these proteins without the carb heavy sides like mash potatoes, rice,etc. She's a foodie, no doubt, so the struggle is real. I'm reaching out to the Brethren for some advice. What do I do? (divorce is not an option).

Ditch the carbs and enjoy the fats and proteins!

Nope! Didn’t say it will be easy but it’s worth it and gets easier after a week or so and you can still enjoy all the fantastic meats that come off the pellet grill!

There are healthy fat people as well as unhealthy skinny people. What are y’all’s motivation??Rapid weight loss? Controlling or avoiding a health condition? Asking about a diet here is about like asking which cooker is best, with no further information.

KETO-Paleo-South Beach-Zone-Blood Type diets,Intermittent Fasting etc etc etc. I can tell you what’s worked for my wife and I, but our motivations are high Check out the Healthy Lifestyle thread when you get a chance

Substitute vegetables for starch (for her). I submit and go with the veggies but I insist on rice which she can skip.

Ditch the carbs and enjoy the fats and proteins!

Nope! Didn’t say it will be easy but it’s worth it and gets easier after a week or so and you can still enjoy all the fantastic meats that come off the pellet grill!

Yep! There is a long thread about the keto way of eating in the healthy eating section of the forum that is worth a read.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269300

Also, I highly recommend the book "The Keto Reset Diet" by Mark Sisson. Mark presents a staged process to get into ketosis that makes the transition easier. As Jeremy said, it's not easy, but once your body is fat-adapted to brun fats instead of carbs as fuel it gets much easier. I have been keto-ish/low carb for 2 1/2 years and it has helped me maintain my weight after losing 165 pounds.

I’m in the same boat. Went on a low calorie diet about two years ago and lost almost 60#. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and am back up to 240. Want to get into my xl shirts again. Hate veggies (most of them don’t agree with my system). Gave the low carb deal a one day try and by the end of the day wanted to eat every carb on site. Does it get easier? I think there was a mental block there also that I would never be able to eat normal bread, pasta, piece of cake, etc again.

Don't waste your time. You and she aren't ready and it won't stay off if it isn't a lifestyle change.

Start small and just keep a log (lots of free tracker online). If you aren't willing to type on your phone to the thousands of pre loaded it's.s(or scan barcode) the food you eat then you aren't ready to take close to being ready to lose weight.

I’m in the same boat. Went on a low calorie diet about two years ago and lost almost 60#. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and am back up to 240. Want to get into my xl shirts again. Hate veggies (most of them don’t agree with my system). Gave the low carb deal a one day try and by the end of the day wanted to eat every carb on site. Does it get easier? I think there was a mental block there also that I would never be able to eat normal bread, pasta, piece of cake, etc again.

Thats because your body is addicted to carbs and it craves them...it takes a few days to get past that and once you do, especially after several weeks, carbs may even seem unappealing.

Low carb diets work well for me because I dont feel like I am "settling" or "going without". Ive never been a big bread or sweets fan so that was easy for me to cut out.....but that delicious, refreshing, nectar of the gods known as beer....that is my weakness. Luckily I also like whiskey :grin:

Just eat what you do now but count your calories.

Think about these foods feeling,they need you. Carpe Diem,just eat whatever you want,don't lose weight,besides,thin is not as good-looking as you think

Just when I was getting into the swing of things with my pellet grill my wife decides she wants to start dieting again. Now don't get me wrong, I need to lose a few pounds as well but there's no way in hell I'm drinking 3 protein shakes a day. She loves rib eyes, pork chops, beef ribs and lamb chops but can't stand the thought of eating these proteins without the carb heavy sides like mash potatoes, rice,etc. She's a foodie, no doubt, so the struggle is real. I'm reaching out to the Brethren for some advice. What do I do? (divorce is not an option).

-Limit the fat that you use when cooking
-Limit calories you drink (sugar)
-Reduce carbs but don't eliminate them
-Reduce portion size - I would finish a ribeye, then I would have left overs the next day.
-Reduce the amount of times you eat during the day (eat three times). This is particular key to develop self control.
-Have one cheat meal every few weeks
-Maybe try different cuts, IE instead of a ribeye eat a strip.
-get active, it doesn't have to be much but say try to hit 10,000 steps in a day.

I weighed 300 lbs at one point in my life, I have been under 195 lbs for 17 years....

Attachments

• steak.jpg
    steak.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 157
  • rib steak.jpg
    rib steak.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 152
Gave the low carb deal a one day try and by the end of the day wanted to eat every carb on site. Does it get easier? I think there was a mental block there also that I would never be able to eat normal bread, pasta, piece of cake, etc again.

This is a clear sign that you are a sugar addict. Does it get easier? After 3-4 days as the stored sugar in your body runs out it gets easier. After 2-3 weeks as you physically and mentally adapt, it gets even easier. After that though, it can get harder. If you cheat a little, say for a big dinner event, you have to be extra diligent for the next couple days to not fall off the wagon.

Also, the key piece of learning that helped me was realizing excess protein gets processed into sugars. You have to nearly eliminate carbs AND control protein to stay solidly in ketosis and not have the hunger and cravings. At least that’s how it works for me.

The hardest part is reintroducing limited carbs after losing the weight without triggering your addictive behaviors. Best advice I can share there is to consciously keeps carb portions low and get on the scale often. It will tell you when you need to go strict keto again for a couple weeks to get back on track.

Back