MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
TBoneMac
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Mac
Default Ribs and Pork Butt Hold Time

I've been asked to cook BBQ for a family reunion (about 30 people) in early October. My family seems to prefer ribs and pork butt.

After I've cooked the meat at my house, it will be a 3-hour drive to the reunion site. And I'm wondering if ribs and pork butt can stand that long of a hold time inside a cooler without becoming mushy.

And would spare ribs versus baby backs make any difference as far as a long hold time is concerned?

I may end up doing the cooking at the reunion site instead of at my house. Making a good impression on these people is important to me. They see my cook journals/blogs on the internet all the time, but they've never eaten my BBQ.

Thanks
TBoneMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

3 hrs. isn't bad at all. They'll be fine in a cooler. Keep the ribs wrapped and wait to pull the pork on site.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Agree with the above Don't put too much in a cooler otherwise it will continue to cook When done cooking vent for about 10 min before putting them in the cooler
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I know that on the up side (cooking) We are supposed to go from 40°F to 140°F in 4 hours or less for food safety reasons. (I'm not sure how sous vide fits into this) I suspect similar requirements apply on the way back down. In other words, keep the food above 140°F to insure safety. If it drops below 140°F it can start breeding things. That would impress your guests but not in a good way. As far as the quality of the food, I think if you cool it enough to slow/stop cooking you can keep for hours w/out loss of quality.

I'd appreciate comments by others who can confirm, clarify or refute the food safety belief.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
smokerpa
Full Fledged Farker

I just did 50 racks and held them for 3.5 hours. I pan them and pull them slightly before they are done. They will continue to cook and carry over. I then cut them on site. They were still hot to the touch. I used a Cambro, but a good cooler will have the same effect.

I agree with the others on the pork butt. Pull on site.

No More Youtube and Facebook Changes for Me :crazy:
smokerpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #6
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

I did ribs for a family reunion last year that I pulled off the smoker 30 minutes before they were done the way I like them. Wrapped them at once and into the cooler for the 1 hour drive and 2 hour wait to serve. They came out perfect. On butts cook them until they are done the wrap and put in cooler. I have held butts for 5 hours without any problem.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote