MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #1
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Healthy BBQ: Skinless Chicken Breast with Pron

G'Day Bruces'!

Most of you know I just like having fun here... but this is a topic that has been on the boards for a month or so, and I'm sure it's not the first time.

HEALTHY BBQ!

Gentlemen, we have the tools at our disposal to make the healthiest food there is!

Recently, I went to the doctor and got told my sugar was high. Having been an Intensive Care Nurse for 15 years... I made a decision. I'm not going to be a diabetic ! And having been an Intensive Care Nurse for 15 years, I knew what I had to do.

1. Stop pissing up.
2. Start eating right.
3. Exercise.

The first thing I did, was go and see Mick!....

Everyone, meet Mick. I've been doing Micks printing for 8 years. I knew I'd need him someday, and that day has arrived. Here is a link to Mick's gym, FUTURE HEALTH AND FITNESS which he owns and established himself.

Mick put me on a high protein diet so we could get serious with Muscle building to aid in the weight loss. The diet was OK.. nothig I did not expect, but the main issue I had was buying smoked meats like chicken breast and lean beef when I know I can do it myself. I told Mick. He was sceptical

So anyway... sorry about the bullsh!t on to the recipe.

I bought 11Lbs of Chicken Breast Fillets. I brined them for 2 hours in the following:

4 Gallons Water
1/2 Cup Salt
1/4 Cup Sugar
TBS Dried Thyme
1 Head Fresh Garlic cut across the guts
Black Peppercorns
2 Lemons

Here's the chicken after 2 hours in the brine:

Here's my sugar free rub recipe!

Here's what I put it in!

The chicken got dusted!

I had fired up the WSM earlier with lump and oak and set at a low 200F. I hung all the chicken breast on my jerky hooks so they could cook verticle and allow all the fat (if any) to drip into the water pan.

After an hour, I raised the temp up to 250 to finish. They were done quite fast and still took a good amount of smoke, and some pretty nice colour too!

While the chicken had been smoking, I roasted some peppers right on the coals in the WSM... no pics of that, but then I added them to this healthy delicious fresh salad!

Then I sliced a few chicken breasts...

And served a very healthy meal...

Oh... I didn't have the avocado... that was for everyone else!

Anyway, it's that easy. The chicken was delicious, and the salad was simply dressed in a light viniagrette. You can eat a big serve of this and get lots of protein, no fat, and no carbs.

Hope you can try it too!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

looks good for rabbit food
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
deguerre

Nice one Bill! Nothing wrong with that. I still would've had a couple slices of avocado...your body does need a little fat, but perhaps the chicken had enough?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Boshizzle

Awesome meal!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice looking salad i need to get my arse in gear also

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Awesome salad Bill!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

I love boneless skinless breasts! Especially smoked with SM Season All. It's a great way to eat healthy without sacrificing flavor. I'm doing some breasts myself friday. Going to use part of them for chicken tortilla soup and the other for chicken salad and just adding to salads. The key to weight loss in my opinion is moderation and eating slow. Chew your food till it's almost like a paste and then swallow. Taking to bites and gulpin down the rest will allow you to eat a lot more before your brain can register that your full/satisified. Also don't eat till your stuffed. Once you notice that the hunger feeling is gone wait about 5 minutes and see if the hunger comes back or if your good to go. A lot of times we eat so much that we don't realize that we could be sufficient with a fraction of what we actually eat. Best of luck to you and trust me do not become diabetic if you can help it.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nice Bill! I'm doing something similar as it seems we're in a similar position health-wise.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

So how long did you have them at 240? Did the outer "skin" become chewy?
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
bigabyte

Very nice!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
Jason TQ

Those hooks are cool.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
gtr

I did boneless skinless breasts this weekend too. Yours look better! I brined as well, but mine was a little too salty. I'm gonna try for a proportion more like yours next time. I put some of Phu's Faja Lobi in the brine and it was great! Love the jerky hooks idea. Nice work all around!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Phubar

Ain't nothing wrong with that meal Ausz!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
Shooter1
Full Fledged Farker

Nothing wrong with going healthy and the salad looks great. I probably wouldn't have been able to resist a slice or two of avocado. Like the hanging method for the chicken breasts also, going to have to try that.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
NS Mike D
Full Fledged Farker

nice post

this one is a keeper, I've been thinking of no healthier options, and this one loiks great, although I would have broken and eaten the avacado.
La Caja China #2
Weber 22 Kettle
Brinkman Vertical Charcoal (out on loan)
Weber Q 200
Weber Summit Series Gasser
NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote