Cured a 25 pound ham several months ago..... just got around to fully smoking it

TuscaloosaQ

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I got a 350 pound hod butchered a few months back.. the hams were 25 pound each.... Chris...(OIFMarine) was kind enough to send me the curing injection to cure the game with.... basically the ham was injected with his solution then went in a wet brine for about 2 weeks... I then smoked the ham (cold).... wrapped and put in the freezer for a later date to have twice smokeed ham.....

I originally smoked with pecan for a few hrs to get some color.... here it is straight out of the freezer after thawing....

Decided to smoke with hickory and pecan.... I added no rib or anything... nothing sweet at all goes on my ham....used my uninsulated vertical smoker I built last year.... I have not even sandblasted or painted the cooker yet.... but I like it

Top to bottom was running pretty even

Had to take a peep.... I never checked the internal temp I've. Cooked enough of these I just instinctively know it ready......

Off the cooker..... I did foil it for a couple hrs.... it's in the shop fridge know waiting on a knife

The flavor on this ham was insane..... I loved it......

Last edited:
Very nice. It's good to see that you have a hobby to keep you occupied during all of your down time:wink:

Wow that looks great! Please tell me there'll be biscuits involved at some point...:hungry:

I'm about to do the same for Thanksgiving, methinks.

Wow! nice work Paul, I do love a double smoked ham. Also like the look of your vertical, no need to sandblast and paint, Aaron Franklin leaves his cookers al naturale, after-all you ain't eating the cooker only what comes out of it.:p

Back