MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Default UDS Pork 225 or 300?

Quick question. When you cook pork shoulder at 300, does it still have that great smoke flavor of one cooked at 225? I did one Thursday, put it in the UDS at around 7:30pm, 225. Took 12 hours, but it was awesome. Great flavor, nice bark. The best shoulder I've ever made.
When you up the temp, to 300, do you retain the depth of smoke flavor? i thought temps over 250 negated that smoke.
I've got a couple more I'd like to do this morning, I'd like to have them ready by dinner time, (about 9hrs) but don't want to sacrifice taste.
Any suggestions?
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDaMan79 View Post
Quick question. When you cook pork shoulder at 300, does it still have that great smoke flavor of one cooked at 225? I did one Thursday, put it in the UDS at around 7:30pm, 225. Took 12 hours, but it was awesome. Great flavor, nice bark. The best shoulder I've ever made.
When you up the temp, to 300, do you retain the depth of smoke flavor? i thought temps over 250 negated that smoke.
I've got a couple more I'd like to do this morning, I'd like to have them ready by dinner time, (about 9hrs) but don't want to sacrifice taste.
Any suggestions?
Yes they will still taste great...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Do everything the same except the temp then you'll know. Even if it isn't perfect it will still be darn good.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You'll be fine going hotter, just ask Bludawg
You also won't sacrifice any of the smoke flavor

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

When i'm cooking at 300 degrees, I always make sure the pork is very cold when I put it on the smoker as well as put it on the smoker at about 250 degrees or so.

There is still a super nice smokey flavor on the meat. The biggest thing with cooking at 300 degrees is to trim the fat more aggressively, as well as a minimum 2 hours for resting. I can knock out a 8lb pork butt in about 6 hours (not including resting)

Old 11-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

No change in texture or flavor. Why take 12+ hrs to do what you can do in 6-8. If your rub has allot of sugar you need to back it way down or it will burn. I cook mine at 300+ and foil after 4 hrs to finish and rest on the counter top for 2 hrs (you'll need double gloves ...ouch)

Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

It depends on where you're measuring temperature. A 8# butt takes me around 12 hours when I smoke at 250*. I suspect we're talking the same thing, just measuring differently.

p.s. I like 275*.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
StanDaMan79
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, thanks for the rapid response's! I was prepared to do what was suggested, do everything the same, and see what happens.
But I'll be doing it now, with a lot more confidence, thanks guys.

I took the pork I cooked down for a pot luck dinner, on the shore of New Melones lake, a group of us had volunteered for the CAST event held there. We donate our boats and time to take disadvantaged/disabled kids out for a little fishing.
The weather has been so nice, we ate outside and enjoyed those pulled pork sliders I made, some home made sides brought by my buddies. Beans, macaroni and cheese, and cole slaw or sweet bread and butter pickles for the sliders. Beautiful night, great dinner, good friends.

2 pork shoulder roasts going on at 300. I'll have time to take some pictures this time. Thanks again!
StanDaMan79 is offline   Reply With Quote