MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Personal Chef

I was asked to cook at a graduation party.

They will supply all the foods, the sides, the service, etc..

I show up and cook the meats on the pits. They want "The BBQ Show'. Stickburner, Clanging steel, Trailer, Trophies, etc..

briskets, butts, chicken, ribs for 150, plus burgers and dogs.

they want it to go on all day. 1PM to 8PM.

What would a decent fee be for "personal chef".

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

$500 or if they can't afford it $50 an hour CASH.

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

$50 per hour is minimal for me to do this plus fuel and prep stuff. You are increasing your liability by letting them provide the meat though.

I was asked to do one of these and I charged a flat fee of $500. I did not get the job though.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
ASUBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

$50.00 hr (8 hr min) plus expenses, truck fuel, wood, charcoal, rags, pit cleaning, etc.
ASUBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
oceanpigassassins
On the road to being a farker

Are you cooking for seven hours plus your set up time. Also the pork and brisket are you going to pre cook
Old 03-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Realistically it's three days work with prep, moving in and out, cooking and cleanup. So what would you expect to earn for three days work?
I wouldn't let them get the meat because it's unlikely they'll get exactly what you want and when you want it. Typically people do that because they're looking to save money. I'd offer the meat at cost but charge three days pay. I doubt they'll pay it.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Realistically it's three days work with prep, moving in and out, cooking and cleanup. So what would you expect to earn for three days work?
I wouldn't let them get the meat because it's unlikely they'll get exactly what you want and when you want it. Typically people do that because they're looking to save money. I'd offer the meat at cost but charge three days pay. I doubt they'll pay it.

If I am showing up on site with all my equipment it's going to be 100/hr
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
Bigdog

For me, it would depend on how well I know the people.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUBBQ View Post
$50.00 hr (8 hr min) plus expenses, truck fuel, wood, charcoal, rags, pit cleaning, etc.
I think 8 hours is still to short... You've got loading, transporting, cooking, and then cleaning...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpigassassins View Post
Are you cooking for seven hours plus your set up time. Also the pork and brisket are you going to pre cook
I'm assuming that you would need to at least partially cook the bigger cuts... That too adds time (and costs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I agree with Ray to a point (I'm thinking two days to your three). I do agree that you don't want them to get the meat... You could end up with chuck roasts & pork loins when you ask for Brisket & Butts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
For me, it would depend on how well I know the people.
BD, hit the nail on the head.... Figure out what you should charge and then work backwords based on friendship....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
oceanpigassassins
On the road to being a farker

I would say a thousand
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpigassassins View Post
I would say a thousand
I agree, you would be making at least 1500.00 if you(or at least if I) were catering it.

But, they may be good friends, and you are not really a caterer, you might go less, but a grand is fair...

PS, you will need a helper too...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

For me it would be free, I don't have a certified kitchen or health department certification and therefore am not allowed to get paid. Now a tip jar....Hmmmmmm. I would get the meat and give them the receipts to pay. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

He is fully aware I am not a caterer.

Hes a business associate of my wife. Thats the extent of it. I told him I am not a caterer, and theres a liability involved. He asked if I would come as an 'invited guest and help do the cooking' wink wink. He just wants a 'real BBQ' guy and not someone flipping burgers.

They are buying all the sides and will supply servers/helpers.

He(Husband) is coming with me to resturant depot to purchase all meats supplies. So I will be picking the stuff out.

I will cook butts and briskets the night before. Chicken and ribs to be done on site.

He suggested that he and his brother(they both want to learn BBQ stuff) be involved in the cooking too, since I am only 'helping'. He said he can do the work and I can be the consultant. :)

I told him $1500 plus fuel, rubs, sauces, supplies. 2 days work, 8 hours on site/2 people. Me and a team mate)

He didn't flinch and wants to sit down to work on the full menu. I'll take that for a weekends work.

I think I need MOAB back. ;)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

I think I need MOAB back. ;)
Rat Bastaige.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Phil, I hope you have some type of caterers insurance policy.

I dont/wont and flat arse refuse to cook off site of my own property without it.

Turn down work all the time and thats ok.

If I cook the food on my own property and deliver it to another site Im covered under my home owners policy.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote