MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Beef Ribs, Pork Ribs & Chicken

That's what's on the menu for Sunday. I got a rack of beef and pork spare ribs and 2 whole chickens. Now I need some help. I've never smoked different meats at the same time. I'm using a Traeger with a digital heat controller. I figure I'll cook them at 250 or 275 so it doesn't take too long since I stay up half the night and sleep half the day. (I work graveyards and can't go to sleep early on the weekends.) I'm wondering how long to cook each type of meat. Anyone want to lay out a schedule for Me? Thanks.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
That's what's on the menu for Sunday. I got a rack of beef and pork spare ribs and 2 whole chickens. Now I need some help. I've never smoked different meats at the same time. I'm using a Traeger with a digital heat controller. I figure I'll cook them at 250 or 275 so it doesn't take too long since I stay up half the night and sleep half the day. (I work graveyards and can't go to sleep early on the weekends.) I'm wondering how long to cook each type of meat. Anyone want to lay out a schedule for Me? Thanks.
Haven't done beef ribs, but with a pellet muncher slower produces more smoke taste. ribs with a 3-2-1 method will work at a low temp 200-220 but chicken will have a rubbery skin at that temp. I would throw pork, beef on 6 hours before meal. do 3-2-1, cooler, put chicken on 4 hours before dinner and raise temp after ribs come off to try and help skin. Then again my Q is tolerable so take that into consideration.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #3
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Norcoredneck. I'm not sure what 3-2-1 means though. Also I smoked a turkey once that had leathery skin when it was done. Is that due to the temp? The meat was unbelievably good though.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
Norcoredneck

3 in smoke, 2 in foil, 1 back on to firm up. Poultry skin needs higher temp plus finesse for bite through. Stick around you will se a never ending quest for bit through skin.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
Norcoredneck

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=bite+skin

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=bite+skin

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/se...earchid=625917

Ok let's see your Butt!