MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Default Getting Ready for som Buck Board Bacon, need advice!

Ok,
I'm back from the tropics and got the itch to make some Buck Board Bacon. I got two pork shoulders and deboned them. After Deboning the best I could without tearing the shoulder up, I still have a pretty good sized flap in the meat. After slicing will this just fall apart or does it stick back together after cooking? Just wondering if I should tie it back up with twine or just leave it go.
I also read a few posts about flavoring the bacon. One sounded good injecting with 50% maple syrup and 50% apple juice. Just wondering if that would over power the flavor. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Last question is I also bought a Pork Loin. I want to package it in about 1 pound pieces. When I cure should I go ahead and cut into the size I want or wait till after curing to cut into smaller pieces? Or does it even matter?

Thanks
David
DavidEHickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEHickey View Post
Ok,
I'm back from the tropics and got the itch to make some Buck Board Bacon. I got two pork shoulders and deboned them. After Deboning the best I could without tearing the shoulder up, I still have a pretty good sized flap in the meat. After slicing will this just fall apart or does it stick back together after cooking? Just wondering if I should tie it back up with twine or just leave it go.
I also read a few posts about flavoring the bacon. One sounded good injecting with 50% maple syrup and 50% apple juice. Just wondering if that would over power the flavor. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Last question is I also bought a Pork Loin. I want to package it in about 1 pound pieces. When I cure should I go ahead and cut into the size I want or wait till after curing to cut into smaller pieces? Or does it even matter?

Thanks
David
I,ve done this once, so not a pro, but just tuck the butt back together, after curing and smoking, it all ends up back solid again!
Try the KISS method the first time out, you won't be dissapointed!
Cure the pork loin as 1 then divide after cooking.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Helps if you tie it up before smoking. Try to form into acceptable shape.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote