Smoked some spare ribs last night

TheFury

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This is only the fourth time i've ever smoked something in my life (first did a pork butt, then some baby backs, then a reverse-seared tri tip) and i think it turned out pretty darn good.

Nice meaty pack of spare ribs from my local supermarket, seasoned with yellow mustard, a bit of AP Rub and BBQ Rub from Killer Hogs, and an extra dusting of coarse black pepper.

Mix of hickory & apple wood on the Weber Summit Charcoal (the smoke is still pretty white in this pic... don't worry, I let it settle down before I put the ribs on.

3-2-1 method at 225. Temperature was locked in remarkably well except for one excursion to 250 after I wrapped, which was fine by me.

Glazed with Stubbs sweet BBQ sauce during the last hour unwrapped.

Bones slid right out as I was cutting the ribs. Crazy tender.

As a self-critique, I'd say I probably could have smoked these things at a higher temp and for less than 6 hours. Maybe forego the wrapping altogether. They were tasty as all hell, but some bits were almost imperceptibly dry, and I feel like the ribs could have used a bit more chew.

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 355
Nice bones. I tend to like my ribs well done fall off the bone. I dont mind if there a little dry thats what bbq sauce is for heh

Thanks! Yeah, I know there's some middle ground here... still fall off the bone but a little juicier with more bite to it. I just don't know how hard I want to work to find that balance, because these were some mighty fine ribs regardless.

The best ribs are the kind you like. Unless you're competing in a competition where there is a defined set of criteria. What's good, not good, right or wrong is at the mercy of someone's personal preference.

One of my best friends (who has been Q'n for a LOOONG time) loves his ribs "fall off the bone". Even though he knows in the "BBQ WORLD" that is commonly considered "over cooked". He doesn't care. That's how he likes them so that's how he does them. Do'em the way YOU like'em. :loco:

Thanks! Yeah, I know there's some middle ground here... still fall off the bone but a little juicier with more bite to it. I just don't know how hard I want to work to find that balance, because these were some mighty fine ribs regardless.

That's part of the fun, playing around.

I don't do 3-2-1, but you can always reduce amount of time in foil, or initial smoke time, etc.

Those look good!

The best ribs are the kind you like. Unless you're competing in a competition where there is a defined set of criteria. What's good, not good, right or wrong is at the mercy of someone's personal preference.

One of my best friends (who has been Q'n for a LOOONG time) loves his ribs "fall off the bone". Even though he knows in the "BBQ WORLD" that is commonly considered "over cooked". He doesn't care. That's how he likes them so that's how he does them. Do'em the way YOU like'em. :loco:

Couldn't agree more.

They look great and as long as you like them that is all that matters. I am still fairly new to smoking and by no means an expert but I have done ribs 7 or 8 times and have never foiled. I wait until they pass the bend test, pull, rest, and slice.

I’ll gladly take a plate of those!

Awesome shot of your cooker!

Looking good! Cook ‘em how you like ‘em... sage advice. I think those bones look Killer-B!

I’m sure you drove the neighbors crazy with that sweet smelling smoke wafting over the fence!

Another urban smoker! Nice rig.

The ribs look tasty.

Back