MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Default WSM Thermometer Probe Length?

Hey Brethren:

Thinking of installing a couple grate-level thermometers on my 22.5" WSM this weekend, and was wondering if there's consensus on the ideal probe length. They apparently come in a variety of different lengths.

Thanks!

-Bastid
Weber Genesis E-310 - Gas
Weber Smokey Joe (A RED one!)
Unfathomable Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I would think 3"-5" would be ok. It will get you past the very edge that is a little hotter than the center due to the way heat circulates in the weber.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

I did this thermometer mod to my WSMs, they have 3" stems.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07#post2299407
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...emp_timer.html
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I did this thermometer mod to my WSMs, they have 3" stems.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...07#post2299407
Thanks Bob! Interesting that you installed your probes "below" grate level. I was planning on installing mine just above the grates, acknowledging the concern that the probes could theoretically touch the food. I was just planning on positioning food around them.

-Bastid

Old 07-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Seems like I'd want at least a 4" probe (no jokes please) for fear that taking readings too close to the side of the cooker would be 25-50 degrees hotter than a couple inches further towards the middle.

Am I incorrect in assuming this?

Of course, if I choose anything larger than 3" and plan on installing it above the cooking grate, I could be sacrificing quite a bit of cooking real estate. Hmmm...

-Bastid

Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Why not do the grommets and just put the thermometer in when you need to read the temp? I would be concerned mounting it would get in the way of taking the grate out. BobM should be able to address that for you.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
Why not do the grommets and just put the thermometer in when you need to read the temp?
You can do that and it works well. For convenience I wanted something permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
I would be concerned mounting it would get in the way of taking the grate out. BobM should be able to address that for you.
You have to tilt the grates on a slight angle when you put them in or take them out, but it's no big deal.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

I might be going overboard on this whole idea since I also use the DigiQ DX2 temperature management system which has a pit probe. I just like the idea of having a second ACCURATE thermometer installed to tell me temps independently of the computer. And I also like the way the installed thermometer looks on the unit.

It's like airliners with GPS navigation units still having vacuum pumps running their analog instruments. You don't need them -- until you need them.

-Bastid

Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

I usually see therms with two or four inch stems and my pick would be the four inch because I would want to see what the temp is as close to where the cooking is being done as possible.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post
I usually see therms with two or four inch stems and my pick would be the four inch because I would want to see what the temp is as close to where the cooking is being done as possible.
Yeah, I believe a minimum of 3" probe is necessary. 4" is my preferred length. The question remains as to whether the install should be below or above the grate.

Personally, I think it should be above the grate as that's likely to have a more correct temp reading, and would also avoid dripping foods.

-Bastid

Old 07-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfathomable Bastid View Post
Yeah, I believe a minimum of 3" probe is necessary. 4" is my preferred length. The question remains as to whether the install should be below or above the grate.

Personally, I think it should be above the grate as that's likely to have a more correct temp reading, and would also avoid dripping foods.

-Bastid
Yeah definitely above the grate as close to the level of the food area as possible.