Myron Mixon Smokers?

I actually like the design, but really balked at the prices offered at the Atlanta BBQ Fest last year. My favorite BBQ joint (Southern Soul on SSI) has one of the larger units as a rib cooker.

With that said, I think the Langs are still the best bang for the buck.

I actually like the design, but really balked at the prices offered at the Atlanta BBQ Fest last year. My favorite BBQ joint (Southern Soul on SSI) has one of the larger units as a rib cooker.

With that said, I think the Langs are still the best bang for the buck.

I didnt know Southern Soul used them. Friends of ours just moved to SSI and I have been dieing to go. The one day we were they they were closed for a party for the cast of anchorman 2 (no joke) and the other day they were to busy and the girls made us move on.

We plan on going back sometime in August and they promise me we will get to go for sure this time

I do like that they have Myron Mixon shelves.??? So what are those...are they shelves made to look like Myron?

His smokers are insanely expensive. I put in an offer for the Auburn custom smoker which was originally listed at like $6-7k. It got as low as $3k which I could have bid on but I needed more room. I thought about it deeply but I just did not see many people having used them so couldn't base my purchase just on looks and a grand champions name on it. I needed to hear on results and there just are none for the normal bbq brethren crowd.

Southern Soul uses all Langs but the MM rib cooker. Lang's shop is only about 40 minutes away from the restaurant.

And the racks looked like any other smoker rack from what I remember...

Myron Mixon Smokers

I'm going to pick up the 36 inch smoker Saturday, July 27, at the KCBS contest in Maggie Valley, NC. The 50 ft. factory trailer will be there from Waterford, CT, as a vendor. I believe Jack's Old South team is also going to compete in the contest.
The firebox runs the full length of the cooker, so it should give a long burn using the Minion method. There is plenty of room for full size aluminum foil steam table pans with room to spare for circulation. When I stuff a full sized pan into my Backwoods smoker, it seems to interfere with air circulation and causes the temp to creep up. I'll post again when I've had time to try the new smoker out.

Myron Mixon Smokers

I've had 2 cooks on my 36 inch Myron Mixon smoker now. The first thing that impresses you the first time you see one of these is how big they are. There advertising is a little off. The external dimensions of the cooking chamber are 36 X 24 inches but the interior dimensions are 34 1/2 X 22 1/2 inches. When you open the lid just give it a little tug and the nitrogen filled shocks open the lid the rest of the way - hands off.
The firebox basket is 31 X 15 X 9 inches and would hold 50 lbs of briquettes easily. That's a good thing because this baby uses a lot of charcoal. The first cook I started with a 16.6 lb bag of charcoal and had to add additional briquettes after 3 hours. The second cook I started with a 20 lb bag plus one chimney of lit coals and had to add briquettes after 4 hours. The cooker comes up to 225 degrees 11 minutes after adding one chimney full of lighted briquettes. You can't cook all day without adding additional fuel like you can on a Backwoods smoker or a Pitmaker Vault.

I've had 2 cooks on my 36 inch Myron Mixon smoker now. The first thing that impresses you the first time you see one of these is how big they are. There advertising is a little off. The external dimensions of the cooking chamber are 36 X 24 inches but the interior dimensions are 34 1/2 X 22 1/2 inches. When you open the lid just give it a little tug and the nitrogen filled shocks open the lid the rest of the way - hands off.
The firebox basket is 31 X 15 X 9 inches and would hold 50 lbs of briquettes easily. That's a good thing because this baby uses a lot of charcoal. The first cook I started with a 16.6 lb bag of charcoal and had to add additional briquettes after 3 hours. The second cook I started with a 20 lb bag plus one chimney of lit coals and had to add briquettes after 4 hours. The cooker comes up to 225 degrees 11 minutes after adding one chimney full of lighted briquettes. You can't cook all day without adding additional fuel like you can on a Backwoods smoker or a Pitmaker Vault.

Aren't they meant to burn sticks though or are they advertised as a charcoal cooker? Would seem like sticks would be more cost effective on these smokers.

Aren't they meant to burn sticks though or are they advertised as a charcoal cooker? Would seem like sticks would be more cost effective on these smokers.

I would agree.. From the above post it sounds as if you would have to get Royal Oak to drop ship to your home.

When dealing with that much briquettes how does it fare with ash build up?

I saw them in Maggie Valley and thought the leveling system on each wheel was cool

Yeah, it's definitely a charcoal cooker. Did you ever see Myron cooking on one in the first couple of seasons of Pitmasters? He used about a quart of lighter fluid on a mountain of charcoal to get it started?!? LOL!!! I'm sure it's a good cooker but I think I'll stick with my good ole stick burning offset!:wink:

Myron has stated repeatedly on BBQ Pitmasters that he starts the smoker with a load of charcoal to get a good bed of coals then uses only peach wood after that.

Yes, they're designed as stick burners.

Myron Mixon Smokers

I'm going to try using hickory logs after I get a good bed of charcoal coals with my next cook. I spoke with "Myron Mixon Smokers" team members when they were in Maggie Valley. They said that they use charcoal and add a log about every hour.

We start the pit with charcoal (Kingsford match light). After about 30 minutes we start adding wood. The smokers are insulated and perform very well. They are water cookers and have automatic valves to maintain the proper water level.
I have owned several pits. I have never seen any smoker that is better built than these. I have a 72" double hog cooker on my wish list......

i attended one of his classes last July. In person he was a kind sharing person and answered every question asked. the workmanship/quality is top shelf. Seconn is doing the fabrication and their facility is top notch. We cooked a whole hog, ribs, butts & brisket and the meat was the best I've ever tasted. I have ordered a custom 60" which will cook a 150 hog. it is loading on the truck tomorrow morning and should be in cave creek, az in 6-7 days. The pits are not cheap, but you typically get what you pay for. i'll post some reviews after I get some experience with it.

Back