• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

help finding smoker plans on axle

• Thread starter MDS mikes drum smoker
  • Start date
M

MDS mikes drum smoker

i am looking for plans to build a fairly large smoker that will be put on an axle.

i am thinking round offset but it doesnt matter. i believe i have a friend that can get the pipe but im not sure of dimensions of firebox to cooking chamber, reverse flow?? things like that.

i use a big diamond plate smoker at work but honestly not real impressed

we are looking to start a small catering thing/tax write off. we live in a college town with lots of tailgaiting and parties

I believe that the rule of thumb to start with is firebox 1/3 the size of the smoke chamber. Mine is a offset with some reverse flow. Fire box is in the middle of the back with baffles.

I've never heard that rule of thumb. Perhaps some one can school me on why it is so? From what I've seen, the rule of thumb is to make the firebox as deep as the cooking chamber and then to square or cube it, so you have 16x16, 20x20, 24x24, etc.

My opinion on the matter is that the best size for most any stick burner is 20x20x20. That allows you to build a pretty big fire with normal firewood. I don't build pits, but I do know a thing or two about physics: The larger the firebox, the more area inside the firebox you have to heat, and thus waste fuel. Additionally the more surface area your firebox has to transfer heat, and thus waste fuel. Fireboxes lose heat, and thus waste fuel, more so than cooking chambers. Save resources, money, weight, and fuel by building a smaller firebox and tuning the cooking chamber to to distribute the heat and smoke produced. That's my opinion, such as it is. The only reasons to go with a larger firebox I can think of are 1) your pit builder wants more money, 2) you want to use the firebox as a grill and need more top space, or 3) you want to use your pit as a charcoal cooker and throw in a larger basket.

dmp

I like the sounds of a firebox 1/3 the size of the smoke box. My pit is about that size or even a little more.

At competitions I'm saucing, spraying, sprinkling, and I have no worries about temperature because I know that big firebox will give me all the heat I need to come right back to my target temp.

I may be talking out of my league here, but that's what's working for me. Oh and I also really like having a damper between the firebox and the smoke box. It makes my life easier - and IMHO, how to make my life easier is something you all should thinking a little more about these days.

I've got a reverse flow on wheels that I had built.
I've got all the pictures and even drew up the plans.
I'm sure you won't build the exact same thing, but at least you can use them as a point of reference and jot your own modifications or ideas on.

Oh, and I insulated my firebox so I don't waste heat.
I can keep my 8' long, 36" diameter reverse flow at 250* by adding only 1-2 splits an hour. Not bad, I'd say.

PM me with your e-mail addy.

-scott

Back