MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Default Selling a UDS

I live in a small town of 1300. For the last several weeks many people have witnessed me grinding, drilling, and burning barrels in my driveway lol. My wife being a teacher at the local school has been telling all her coworkers how her husband "built yet another smoker" lol. Now some of her coworkers made an offhand comment that they may buy one from me. Is it safe to build and sell one of these things? I figure I could make a simple 1 rack unit for about $75 and sell it for $150 or less which is a fraction of what some of these companies try to get for them.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

No reason why not.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I seen other posts where people talk about liability

Old 03-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Unless I'm looking at turning this into a small side business for profit I would simply build one for a friend or co-worker for the cost of materials only. But that's just me.
But on the other hand if I have a dozen people knocking at my door asking me to build one for each, I probably would like to profit from that.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Unless I'm looking at turning this into a small side business for profit I would simply build one for a friend or co-worker for the cost of materials only. But that's just me.
But on the other hand if I have a dozen people knocking at my door asking me to build one for each, I probably would like to profit from that.

Yea I thought about that too. My wife asked me how much and I really didn't know. Up till now I have gotten my steel for my firebaskets for free but I am all out. Now I may have to go buy some expanded metal. So that will add to the cost. I can probably get more for free but hate to keep asking the local farmers although it is normally laying in their iron pile anyways. Maybe i could offer then 10-20 bucks for it. Not sure what expanded metal sells for new.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Bludawg

Fark yeah that is B&B cash (beef&beer)

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
AaronPo
is one Smokin' Farker

I built one and the rest is history. I also live in a small town, when people see a smoking 55 gallon barrel in the front yard and see me putting meat on it they tend to stop and ask. I now have at least 4 to 5 people who want a UDS built. I tell them materials plus $75, haven't had one person complain yet.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #8
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I will wait and see if she was even serious. Might be a chance to make a couple bucks and give me an excuse to build another one. I enjoy building these things.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
JLStout
Got Wood.

I've built and sold a few. I get the drums for free. Buy a couple grates and scrounge he the rest. Sell for $150.
JLStout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

You are just selling a cooker, not running a business. There should be no liability issues since it is a personal transaction.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I wouldn't be worried about liability either. Anymore than what existed if you cooked a brisket for them anyway. People can sue for anything you do for them when it gets right down to it, so there's no extra liability than anything else.
I wouldn't consider my labor free. So I'd figure what the time in it is worth for you, and then add that to the cost of materials. If they want it then you're getting paid what you consider you're worth, and if not then you've got some extra time to read a book, or set things on fire.

Just my two cents.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
acx780
Found some matches.

TheIf you're really concerned about liabilities, call the insurance agency that has your homeowners insurance. I have a "umbrella" policy that covers this stuff.
acx780 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
ncstan
On the road to being a farker

Nothing wrong with making a buck .A honest day's work deserves a honest reward whether it be cash or a sincere thank You .

Old 03-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #14
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Good points guys! If she or anyone else wants one I will make and sell them one without worry. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

It's not until something bad or dumb happens is when liability comes into play. We've seen some people selling lined drums, re-cons that had acid in them and so on. I do have a business of selling barrel cookers and will be the first to say if one wants to build their own, just do it safely. I of course would love to sell my units but the comparison costs related are grossly inaccurate as to real figures. I use new units, which are heavier than any other we've found, which means they cost more. Not to mention what's a minimum order, usually a 53' trailer full, from another area. Laser cut parts and quality powder coating are not cheap. I can go on and on but I won't. My point is if you build your own, be responsible about your choices and have a good time. Don't assume a used drum is safe for use, even with burning and sandblasting is your friend to those that have to use lined units. Just remember the end result is something to learn from. Not something to take chances with. Good luck. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote