MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default Stuffed Pork Loin

I'm doing a stuffed pork loin for a local non-sanctioned community contest later this month. My stuffing is going to be, mainly at least, maple JD fatty(plan on probably mixing in some hot as well for spice).

I got to thinking last night that the fatty might shrink more than the loin and leave a loose medallion of fatty in the center, which won't make for a good presentation.

I'll be practicing this weekend and need some ideas. Should I....

Precook the fatty some before freezing and stuffing the loin?

Add ingredients to make a more traditional stuffing (rice,onion,mushrooms,breadcrumbs/cubes)

Something I haven't thought of, due to lack of coffee this morning

Keep in mind the rules of this contest allow for advance preperation so about anything goes.

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

KC, I'm in the same lack-of-coffee zone you are but I think something that would swell (e.g. breadcrumbs) would balance any shrinkage you'd experience. But--I've never tried it myself and...

WARNING: CAFFEINE LOW LIGHT ON :)

Arlin

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
txpgapro
Got Wood.

Here's the way I do it. First the cut is going to be butterflied but in thirds, like a phamplet foldout. Rub with honey mustard and then with TexasRub inside and out. Next goes on a little rosemary and thyme, followed by some very thin sliced Virginia Honey Ham (lot cheaper than that fancy stuff). Then the baby leaf spinach, lots of it. Then sliced mushrooms topped with provolone. And last goes on a pound or two of cream cheese that has a jar of Peach Habanero TexasJPepperJelly mixed in. Fold it all back up, tie it off and smoke over peach wood for about 3-4 hours at around 200-210. Pull loin off when internal reaches 145. Wrap in heavy foil, place in a cooler to set. Wait about 45 min. to an hour before slicing.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

KC, the one on the right is just maple fatty with nothing else. No shrinkage.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
Jorge

Given any thought to stuffing with armadillo eggs?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Mel
Knows what a fatty is.

Kcquer

Try this-Go to a home-depot and in the pluming dept get a brass sink drainpipe 1.1/4 inch by 12 inces long then the lumber dept for a plastic closet rod 1,1/4 by 1.1/2 feet long {they sell it by the foot}

Stand your loin on end and twist tube as you push it in{goes in easy no need to sharpen}.Have sasuage in a bowl just push tube into bowl to fill, then insert filled tube in to your loin, put plastic rod in tube, hold rod pull up tube --what i did then was cut two 3/4 inch pieces from the plug i removed and inserted in ends of the loin with tooth picks
Thats how-- now my .02
Try a sasuage with extra fat and seasoning to help keep the in side moist and tastey also if theres room do this 2 or 3 times but for this you should insert dowels in too the other holes to see where they are and keep a good spaceing

How tightly too pack your sasuage?---your personal taste

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
Brauma

Default Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpgapro
Here's the way I do it. First the cut is going to be butterflied but in thirds, like a phamplet foldout. Rub with honey mustard and then with TexasRub inside and out. Next goes on a little rosemary and thyme, followed by some very thin sliced Virginia Honey Ham (lot cheaper than that fancy stuff). Then the baby leaf spinach, lots of it. Then sliced mushrooms topped with provolone. And last goes on a pound or two of cream cheese that has a jar of Peach Habanero TexasJPepperJelly mixed in. Fold it all back up, tie it off and smoke over peach wood for about 3-4 hours at around 200-210. Pull loin off when internal reaches 145. Wrap in heavy foil, place in a cooler to set. Wait about 45 minte to an hour before slicing.
Daaamm, that sounds tasty! I know about that VA Honey ham now. I'm gonna havta give this one a try.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #8
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Default RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Way way before I knew about smoke, my wife (who is from New Jersey, and her dad was a union boss) used to make what she called "Mafia Meatloaf" with honey ham and morrzerella cheese rolled up in a meatloaf. It was and still is always a hit, so that loin with the ham and cheese sounds great!

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae

Default Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Quote:
Here's the way I do it. First the cut is going to be butterflied but in thirds, like a phamplet foldout. Rub with honey mustard and then with TexasRub inside and out. Next goes on a little rosemary and thyme, followed by some very thin sliced Virginia Honey Ham (lot cheaper than that fancy stuff). Then the baby leaf spinach, lots of it. Then sliced mushrooms topped with provolone. And last goes on a pound or two of cream cheese that has a jar of Peach Habanero TexasJPepperJelly mixed in. Fold it all back up, tie it off and smoke over peach wood for about 3-4 hours at around 200-210. Pull loin off when internal reaches 145. Wrap in heavy foil, place in a cooler to set. Wait about 45 min. to an hour before slicing.
Mike, I just ran your recipe past the OL for "approval". Good God that sounds good!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
txpgapro
Got Wood.

Default RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

I also have used asparagus spears instead of the spinach and it's great!!!!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Quote:
I also have used asparagus spears instead of the spinach and it's great!!!!
Now it sounds great. The spinach kind of threw me.

Kevin
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2005, 06:33 PM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Kevin, thanks for the pics. I think if I use Mel's stuffing technique (thanks Bro) to get a perfect "bullseye" I'll have a winner. Thanks to everyone for the tips!

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh

Old 08-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Quote:
Try this-Go to a home-depot and in the pluming dept get a brass sink drainpipe 1.1/4 inch by 12 inces long then the lumber dept for a plastic closet rod 1,1/4 by 1.1/2 feet long {they sell it by the foot}

Stand your loin on end and twist tube as you push it in{goes in easy no need to sharpen}.Have sasuage in a bowl just push tube into bowl to fill, then insert filled tube in to your loin, put plastic rod in tube, hold rod pull up tube --what i did then was cut two 3/4 inch pieces from the plug i removed and inserted in ends of the loin with tooth picks
Mel, finally got a chance to try your stuffing method, farking outrageous Bro!! Best porkloin I've ever eaten!! Extremely moist, even when cooked to 190, and the maple flavor is the schiznit. I mixed approx 2 parts maple with one part JD hot, will try 50/50 next time.

Thanks for the tip, its a keeper!!

Old 08-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Mel, finally got a chance to try your stuffing method, farking outrageous Bro!! Best porkloin I've ever eaten!! Extremely moist, even when cooked to 190, and the maple flavor is the schiznit. I mixed approx 2 parts maple with one part JD hot, will try 50/50 next time.

Thanks for the tip, its a keeper!!
kc,
I want to try this out this weekend. I have done full pork loins before a few times, taking them up to 185-190 or so each time. They have always been drier than I like.

Can I assume you ran this 225* or so the whole time, and never foiled?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2005, 05:58 PM   #15
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Stuffed Pork Loin

G$, I cooked these loins in the pellet cooker which is a little different than cooking on an offset. You could run a little hotter and get away with it on a loin as it's a fairly tender cut and doesn't really require the low and slow mod for tenderizing, so 235 or even 250 will work.
As for wrapping, I always wrap @ 160. Past this point you're kinda trading tenderness for moisture content. I usually opt for tender and go to 190, 185 and in the cooler for a couple hours will work well too. Having the fatty stuffing really helped the moistness alot. Just for my particular taste, less maple and more hot on the fatty stuffing.