MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #31
jrickus
Knows what a fatty is.

Great show. I was tricked by "re-ignited" though. It seems they were shows which already had aired even though the DVR called them 1st runs. Cant wait to see more new shows.I know its helped to improve my BBQ since watching.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #32
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
Things I took away from the airing tonight -

3. Was disappointed that one cook separated the Money Muscle ... I know the cook is not standard sanction or anything but still found it to be lacking integrity.

Idea for an episode: Do a where are they now for the season one.
Just a question, but how is it a lack of integrity if, it isn't against the rules? He took the same approach that Myron Mixon did, on the show Smoked. Where he seperated the point from the flat so he could get bark on all sides of the point before making burnt ends.

If it isn't against the rules and it is a technique that allows for a better product, I personally don't find it lacking integrity.

And the episode of where are they now for season one would be great! Obviously Tuffy Stone and Myron are judges for Pitmasters. I would love to see how the others are doing in their competition/professional career. I also want to know if the rookie was able to figure out the whole competition bbq scene and do better than he had been.

Last edited by aawa; 06-03-2013 at 08:39 AM..
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrickus View Post
Great show. I was tricked by "re-ignited" though. It seems they were shows which already had aired even though the DVR called them 1st runs. Cant wait to see more new shows.I know its helped to improve my BBQ since watching.
The re-ignited shows were reruns but with deleted scenes. They were much better than the original episodes. One moment that stuck out was the Texas cook out. They actually had the discussion what the brisket sugar cookie method is. In the original episode they Aaron Franklin mentioned their attempt at the sugar cookie method but it was not explained at all.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #34
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

What is the sugar cookie method?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
What is the sugar cookie method?
This thread has a pretty good explination as well as a link to an article that explains it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...25&postcount=8

Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #36
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
Yes the TV set dropped the cambro that was holding them. The judges was instructed to not look at the lay of the ribs since this happened.
That sucks!

Nice job, David! We were cheering for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Is one of the Brethren on the show?
Sorry for the stoopid question, but I've gotten that impression.
Look above. Butcher BBQ.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #37
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

I was also rooting for Butcher. Way to go!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #38
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Look above. Butcher BBQ.

Nice, thank you. I've DVR'd it, will have to check it out tonight.
I've got my favorites, but now that I know there's a Brethren in there, I've got new blood to root for!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
jrickus
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
The re-ignited shows were reruns but with deleted scenes. They were much better than the original episodes. One moment that stuck out was the Texas cook out. They actually had the discussion what the brisket sugar cookie method is. In the original episode they Aaron Franklin mentioned their attempt at the sugar cookie method but it was not explained at all.
Dang. I thought they were all re-runs so I erased from my list. I didnt know they had uncut footage. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #40
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I know of at least one other Brethren member in an upcoming episode

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Just a question, but how is it a lack of integrity if, it isn't against the rules? He took the same approach that Myron Mixon did, on the show Smoked. Where he seperated the point from the flat so he could get bark on all sides of the point before making burnt ends.

If it isn't against the rules and it is a technique that allows for a better product, I personally don't find it lacking integrity.

And the episode of where are they now for season one would be great! Obviously Tuffy Stone and Myron are judges for Pitmasters. I would love to see how the others are doing in their competition/professional career. I also want to know if the rookie was able to figure out the whole competition bbq scene and do better than he had been.
It's not against KCBS rules to separate the point from flat in brisket. The parting rules for pork don't apply to brisket. I think this is a little touchy since there is a belief that some teams are parting pork in comp's today. The rules are supposed to change next year so it will be a non-issue.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #42
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats to Butcher BBQ! I love your products and was pulling for you while watching.

A couple observations...
I found it interesting that the show keyed on the fact that Butcher has been a butcher for years and will have an advantage in that department. Then Tuffy commented on "knife skills" when looking at his ribs. There were a couple other "tells" during the show that seemed a bit fishy. I'm not going to say it's rigged but I'm not so sure the judging is as blind as they portray.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I know of at least one other Brethren member in an upcoming episode
Do Tell!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #44
Nordy
On the road to being a farker

Driver... I think it's pretty well governed by the game show people... but I can see how it may seem questionable... I think it probably comes down to editing and the fact that a lot of those "cameo" comments are probably shot after the fact etc.
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverWild View Post
It's not against KCBS rules to separate the point from flat in brisket. The parting rules for pork don't apply to brisket. I think this is a little touchy since there is a belief that some teams are parting pork in comp's today. The rules are supposed to change next year so it will be a non-issue.
I understand that KCBS rules allow for separating the point from the flat, however this is a TV show competition that is not governed by the KCBS and apparently was not against the rules laid down for the competition. The pitmaster didn't try to hide doing it in a trailer, he did it on camera, infront of everybody, and explained why he was doing it.

Nothing shady or inconspicous about it.