5lb Propane Tank

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I wanted one for my weedburn for comps. Why do they cost so much? Even the 10lb tank is higher priced than 20lb tanks. Anyone know an affordable source?

I'm not familiar with 5 or 10 pound LP tanks. Are these refillable tanks? If so, take them to an RV place or a propane retailer and have your tanks refilled. My next door neighbor is Hank Hill's twin brother. He fills my tanks for very little (no) charge.

They are refillable, but I need a tank. Cabelas sells the 5lb for $60 though. They're the ones that come on the Weber's with gas starters.

They are refillable, but I need a tank. Cabelas sells the 5lb for $60 though. They're the ones that come on the Weber's with gas starters.

Ouch. I'll ask around. That sounds pretty steep.

Walmart here sells them. They exchange for another cylinder for less than 20 dollars. I do not know what they charge if you do not have an exchange bottle. The gas company fills them for 2.79 a gallon and the smaller containers kold 4.6. Usually runs between 12 and 13 dollars to fill one. I had some older bottles that the gas company would not fill because the older style vave is now illegal. Those were the bottles that I exchanged at Walmart---they must retrofit them with new vaves. 60 dollars is high

I just bought a new style (OPD valve) for my performer for $50. I can assure you Walmart does not swap out 5lbers. I had mine filled up for about $4. It is an "odd" size...usually for RV. They fill them, but not swap them. You will prob not find one for less than 50.

I used to work at Home Depot and yes those small tanks are more expensive than
the bigger tanks.

Why?
I don't know......that's just the way it is.

You might as well use the bigger tank...that way you will have plenty of fuel
to get your fire started.

Ty, check out the refill kit for filling the smaller bottles from a larger one. May save you some $$$. Just a thought.

I'll have to keep searching craigslist. I just wanted one for my comp trailer. A smaller 5 or 10lb tank would take up less space and trim some weight. Usually only light 3 eggs and boil a pot of water.

find ya an old gasser on CL and get the tank with it. throw the grill in the trash or resell it for more than u paid for it lol.

find ya an old gasser on CL and get the tank with it. throw the grill in the trash or resell it for more than u paid for it lol.

Done that. It came with a tank half full + a full Blue Rhino tank. $20 a couple years back. I now have 3 tanks. But the smaller lighter tank is a little more desireable. Maybe I'll just keep a half full 20lb tank in the trailer for comps.

I had to do some work on the trailer yesterday. I took the generator to the storage lot with me. It sure was nice to all the tweaks and arranging in the A/C!

I bought the smaller one a few years back and it was twice the cost of the 20lb. It is great for my weedburner as well as taking to my kids sporting events with the heater attachment.

Thillin,
I bought one several years ago to attach a propane heater on for my boat. I got mine locally here- Emerald Isle Distribution Inc
771 Dearborn Park Ln
Columbus, OH 43085
(614) 888-2788

can't remember what I paid...but at time, it didn't seem too bad. shipping may be a deal breaker though. hope this helps.

Around here Costco carries the empty 5 gallon propane cylinders for about $23.

I have never paid a dime for one. Craigslist ads are full of people giving away old BBQs which usually come with tanks. I take them out to a local farm supply where they don't care about OPD and they charge $1.29/gallon instead of the $3.99 the local gas stations charge.

seattlepitboss

I have never paid a dime for one. Craigslist ads are full of people giving away old BBQs which usually come with tanks. I take them out to a local farm supply where they don't care about OPD and they charge $1.29/gallon instead of the $3.99 the local gas stations charge.

seattlepitboss

He wants a 5 pound, not a 5 gallon tank.

Chuck

seattlepitboss

that's the regular size 20lb tank. The 5lb tank is only about a foot tall.

You can take those small ones that they sell for lanterns and stoves and go to harborfreight and get a adaptor that hooks up to a 20 gal. tank and refill it>>>>>>>>>

Back