MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #76
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

personally, i don't like the new rule, didn't like the old one either really.

more to the point, i think the learning curve just steepened. i doubt paul is going to do a 4 page tutorial on how to turn in pork according to the new rule. and that has some scared given the caliber of cooks out there and what they might come up with.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #77
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Donnie, definitely not talking about you......it has been implied that this rule change was only going to help the cooks incapable cooking quality competition pork as a whole piece. I was trying to point out that I have spoken to some very good competition cooks that are at least curious to the possibilities this change allows.

Bobby, I had a good chance to talk to a bunch of folks from all over. I think you're right many of them could care less but I was surprised at some of the excited reactions.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #78
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Sean,
I have only spoken to 1 cook about it, and he is a DOMINANT competitor. His opinion is that it will become a grilling contest. As I said before, I don't plan to change much about my turn in's but my cook timing will change greatly, as I can stagger my start times on the pit specific to the muscle groups, which will give me consistency in one muscle group that can be hit or miss. IMHO, if they are not going to police the existing rule, let's just change it to "Pork except Ribs" and let us really go nuts.........
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #79
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
How would you do that, without a DQ?
Jorge,

More of an FYI really and NOT meant to hijack a KCBS specific thread, but some sanctioning bodies allow sauce presented on the side (in small cups), and some of those allow multiple sauces presented... It gives the judge the opportunity to decide how much sauce they prefer, how much compliments the meat, and in the multiples situation which one compliments the meat best.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #80
ModelMaker

You all just keep yammerin about this, after all you have almost a full year to figure it out.
But remember this, your only talking about the beginning and middle parts. The final part of all this is when you drop off the box at the tent. You really going to put tube muscles the size of a good male member sliced up? You gonna grind it up and send sausage in for the pork entry? Should we expect crosshatch grill marks on the MM slice?
The job of a CBJ is to judge whatever you present in the box.
So raise your hand if you really plan on sending in pork sausage meatballs, if I remember correctly you cooks don't step too far out the box.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #81
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Apparently Scottie and Dr. BBQ figured out the bbq forum poll hack.

I am secure enough in my cooking, that if I have to be the face of this ridiculous rule. So be it.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #82
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

This new rule excites me because next year I can legally remove the money muscle after inspection and cook it separately and still freeze the remainder of the butt and use it in my restaurant for cubanos, country style ribs and grind it up for breakfast sausage, it’ll reduce some of my comp cost. MM makes wonderful pulled, chunked and sliced pork turn in. How do I know, when I miss the temp, I just use it for the other items else turn it in sliced.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #83
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

Like it or not it makes for some really good BBQ!

Horn meat on the left, MM on the right, and tubes.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #84
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

oh boy.

that's some nice looking pork btw. horn might look a tad dry.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #85
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
oh boy.

that's some nice looking pork btw. horn might look a tad dry.
Yep, makes a great presentation, and good eatin' pork it is, but in this southern old timers' opinion, it's not BBQ... KCBS apparently will now allow it, and now it falls right in line with my opinion of KCBS's chicken.

Good eats; you bet. Takes good cooks; sure. BBQ; not. Next; ribeye steaks perhaps?
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #86
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Nothing against MeatMan (very nice butchering) but I don't think that looks good, at all. I would be hard pressed to have that served to me at a BBQ joint. That is not BBQ Pork IMHO.

It might taste like the best stuff on earth, but it ain't BBQ Pork.

That presented against a box of pulled pork, well, the pulled would most likely win.

After reading all the posts, I wonder how the folks that win ever got by not being able to separate.

Don't change the dam rule. Heck, go backwards and make it more simple by saying "pulled pork". Get rid of the MM all together or pull it!

FLAME SUIT ON!!!

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #87
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I just don't understand why anyone feels they need to completely separate the butt to get that result (in pictures) as it's possible to do under the current rules and since everyone would have to purchase the entire butt anyway (5 lb rule) - why bother with the change?

I do think the meat in the picture looks like bbq to me - at least it looks like nearly every money muscle I've ever cooked except mine is cooked attached to the rest of the butt until I'm ready to slice the money muscle.

Maybe I've misunderstood this rule change and what people are doing/what they want to do.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

Last edited by KC_Bobby; 02-27-2013 at 10:14 PM..
KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #88
Scottie

The judges are not allowed to compare. That is why all CBJ's will have to be re-certified

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #89
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

I've cooked hundreds of butts, but never cooked one this way, just thought I'd try it out. There are countless possibilities as to how one might part out a shoulder and cook it. I just went for the obvious muscles. Having never sliced horn meat before, I was really pleased how that turned out. Might just try to work that in for this year. One could just as easily pull the MM, pull the tubes or pull the horn meat. It may not look like BBQ to some, but trust me put it in a box and it would score very well
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #90
Rookie'48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
The judges are not allowed to compare. That is why all CBJ's will have to be re-certified
Huh???

You lost me on that one, Scottie. Judges are already instructed not to compare . . . why will they need re-certification?
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote