MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #586
wilhump
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb0bbby View Post
Jiggs, was it the one in Cbus? I just saw it online. Did they have black & red or just red? The Lowes around the corner has the black one & it has black folding shelves but the one on menards is showing red with wood-colored looking shelves.

Thanks!

Menards only has the red with wood shelves. I tried to get Lowes to price match Menards and they shot me down so i bought the red one and actually like it better now.
wilhump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #587
bb0bbby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhump View Post
Menards only has the red with wood shelves. I tried to get Lowes to price match Menards and they shot me down so i bought the red one and actually like it better now.
I was going to try the same thing at my lowes...was wondering if the red one was wood instead of plastic like on the black one.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordering now.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #588
chicagochris

I was able to get the Lowe's in Lincolnwood, Il to match the Menard's price when I bought my Akorn.
chicagochris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #589
wilhump
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagochris View Post
I was able to get the Lowe's in Lincolnwood, Il to match the Menard's price when I bought my Akorn.

Im sure if i pushed it i could have got them to match it but i since menards is less than a mile away i just went there.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #590
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I was going to try the same thing at my lowes...was wondering if the red one was wood instead of plastic like on the black one.
The shelves on the black Acorn sold at Lowes are metal, not plastic.

I like the red models. Would have bought one if there was a Menards in my area.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #591
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Jiggs, was it the one in Cbus? I just saw it online. Did they have black & red or just red? The Lowes around the corner has the black one & it has black folding shelves but the one on menards is showing red with wood-colored looking shelves.

Thanks!
Lowes sells a black version with metal folding shelves, Menards sells the red version with wood folding shelves. I have the Lowes model, but in my perfect world I would have the red model with metal shelves.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #592
Jiggs
Knows what a fatty is.

Actually, I'm not in Ohio anymore. But yeah, I got the red one with the wooden shelves.

I love this cooker.
Jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #593
Berock
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdad1 View Post
Lowes sells a black version with metal folding shelves, Menards sells the red version with wood folding shelves. I have the Lowes model, but in my perfect world I would have the red model with metal shelves.
Maybe there is somebody on here you can trade with? I'm in the same boat. I would rather have the metal shelves.
Berock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #594
bb0bbby

I got mine today. Cast iron is seasoned & ready. Very impressed with quality of build...especially for $247

Old 07-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #595
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I smoked on my Acorn for the first time this weekend. Cooked a pork butt at 275F - 285F using Ozark Oak charcoal and a couple chunks of Apple wood. Rubbed with SM Spicy Apple and it turned out great! So far I've enjoyed this unit for smoking, normal temp grilling, and high temp grilling (700F+).

Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #596
Smokin in Ne.
Found some matches.

Just got one this weekend. Had to with red. Did ribs ran about 250 for 5 hours was very impressed way easier to hold temps then on my old chargriller offset. Also just joined the brethren this weekend so should also say hello
Smokin in Ne. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #597
Matt579
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin in Ne. View Post
Just got one this weekend. Had to with red. Did ribs ran about 250 for 5 hours was very impressed way easier to hold temps then on my old chargriller offset. Also just joined the brethren this weekend so should also say hello
Yeah me too, just joined and also love my new cgk, installed my iq110 using a thread from this site. Opened up a whole new world of BBQ for, both this site and my cgk

Char griller akorn
Sear n' smoke Texas edition offset
IQ 110
General wireless thermometer
Maverick BBQ thermometer
Acu-rite timer
Matt579 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #598
wintersway
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Long time listener 1st time caller..... Thanks JM for the great reviews! Always been a Kettle guy, watched all your videos, got in the car and went to Lowes, Seasoned it up and did a chicken @ 375. Came out perfect. Doing a Butt today. I'm a happy, happy camper!
wintersway is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #599
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersway View Post
Long time listener 1st time caller..... Thanks JM for the great reviews! Always been a Kettle guy, watched all your videos, got in the car and went to Lowes, Seasoned it up and did a chicken @ 375. Came out perfect. Doing a Butt today. I'm a happy, happy camper!
Excellent :)

I'm still a kettle guy. I use the Akorn about 50/50 with my kettle. In fact, my kettle is getting upgraded to a performer this week.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #600
wilhump
Got Wood.

I was at Meijer in Muskegon mi today and noticed they have a dark grey and brown versions

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado