Smoke in the air ***pic heavy***

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ahhh, its the weekend, been looking for it all week. Got a lot on the menu today. Two deer hindquarters and two front shoulders, a boston butt and a pan or two of beans.

Butchering up that frickin deer was no fun at all, now I see why processors charge so much.

Bought a new injector from Bed Bath and Beyond, came with two needles and a caring case.

Got the boston butt injected with a mix of apple juice, Blues Hog rub and sugar, and heavily rubbed down with Plowboy's Bovine Bold.

The Deer meat was injected with a mix of Apple Juice, W-sauce, and Bovine Bold blended in. Then rubbed down with Plowboy's Bovine Bold. The front shoulders were then covered in baccon to help keep moist.

All meat is in large foil pans to cut down on smoker clean up. Smoking at around 225-250, Dinner is at 5pm

Here are the pics, I'll add more as the day progresses.

My son Reese helping me pick out the Boston Butt:

0041-1.jpg

The new injector, notice the size of the needle, make injecting marinades much easier:
DSC03855.jpg

DSC03857.jpg

DSC03860.jpg

Injection for the Deer:
DSC03861.jpg

Injection for the Butt:
DSC03863.jpg

Butt pics:
DSC03862.jpg

DSC03864.jpg

DSC03865.jpg

DSC03867.jpg

DSC03868.jpg

Deer pics:

DSC03869.jpg

DSC03870.jpg

DSC03871.jpg

DSC03872.jpg

DSC03873.jpg

All the meat on the smoker:

0043-1.jpg

I was wondering where you were going to get some fat for that deer. Bacon solves EVERY problem! :biggrin:

Looks like you'll be having lots of fun today. Good eats.

I have never seen that injector. How did it work out?

Everything looks good. I will check back throughout the day for updates.

Looks great! I'm looking forward to progress pics too.

The injector work great for the Bovine Bold, the Blues Hog however was still a little too large for easy injection, had to grind it up a bit. Todd's stuff is just the right size for injecting into the meat.

The front shoulders on the deer had to have the bacon, just too lean. I'm gonna try something new on the hind quarters. I'm gonna let them smoke the first half of the cook without bacon and then the last half with. Hoping to get a better bark this way. Plus them being a pan with lots of juice helps with moisture as well.

Looks good. Gonna be eating around 5pm, right after LSU kicks Bama's butt?:icon_blush::p

Looking forward to final pics of the venison. Thinking about doing some myself.

I seem to remember loosing a bet last year where I had to fly the LSU colors for a week.

Anyone wanna take me up on the same bet this year?????

Early prediction- Bama 34 LSwho? 17

I seem to remember loosing a bet last year where I had to fly the LSU colors for a week.

Anyone wanna take me up on the same bet this year?????

Early prediction- Bama 34 LSwho? 17

I'd be a fool to take that bet:!:

So I'm your Huckleberry:biggrin:. Same bet as last year:-D

ps - Reese sure is getting big!!

The meat's been on about 3.5 hours now. Here are some picks. Oh and Cajunsmoker, I'll be looking for a real nice bama avatar for ya!:icon_blush:

0044-1.jpg

0045-1.jpg

0046-1.jpg

0047-1.jpg

0048-1.jpg

Nice pictorial! All i can say about the game is:Any given saturday:-D

Paul

Looks good so far. I'm going to have to get some of that Blues Hog rub soon.

I Bought the same injector last weekend for $12.99 at BBB. Havent used it yet, good to know it works well.

066-3.jpg

Ok, update and all.

One, I had to start drinking a little. New drink for me. Capt. Morgan and Dr. Pepper. Its ok, definitely not gonna replace my knob creek and coke!

0049-1.jpg

0050-1.jpg

Also had to put bacon on the hindquarters, they were looking a little dry. I might cover the pan with foil in an hour or so.

0053-1.jpg

0054-1.jpg

0052-1.jpg

The pork butt was about to float in its own juices in that small pan! So I took it out and now its just smoking away on the cooker.

0055-1.jpg

Oh and got the beans made up and put on the pitt!

0051-1.jpg

WoW that is some fine looking meat. Like the injector seem like a good price. I bet LSU/ BAMA are really afraid of UK lol

Nah, we already handled UK, barely that is....

Well one of the hindquarters has hit 150, so its off and double wrapped to wait for the other.

Kick off is in less that 30, pics later, time for pregame

Roll Tide

Smoke on!

Adding anything to Knob Creek is just wrong. You're making me hungry...great pics

Paul

Back