Questions from a newbie...

smokinvic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Is a fatty essentially any type of sausage, or does fatty refer to a particular type of sausage? Could a Farmer John Polish sausage be considered a fatty? What about a Hillshire Farms Kilbasa or smoked sausage? Any recommendations on a sausage brand?

Fatties started as 1 pound chubs of breakfast sausge like Jimmy Dean smoked whole. You can use any non cooked sausage formed into a "log" and smoke it. the Hillshire Farms stuff and other smoked sausages won't work.

are you aware that it is against the rules to only cook one fatty? :icon_blush: just checking............

are you aware that it is against the rules to only cook one fatty? :icon_blush: just checking............
I concur.

The term fatty is reserved for talking about a recipe, a blueprint from which you could create many fatties, but this recipe is a fatty recipe. It can also be used for describing the preperation of an individual fatty, the rubbing of an individual fatty, placing a particular fatty on the smoker, taking hte temperature of a fatty, eating a fatty, or any other action that is performed to an individual sausage log which is being smoked.

When actually cooking them though, the correct terminology is fatties, because one is never enough. (see ABT's)

They can be any kind of sausage really, so long as it is not stuffed in a casing and is formed into a log. There is a fine line between fatty an meatloaf. Fatties would not have egg and breadcrumbs added to firm up the log, while meatloaf would. Just plain ground meat may or may not be called a fatty, but many may mistake it for a meatloaf. In some cases you really must use your best judgement.

My first fattie, a Jimmy Dean breakfast log, chub....w/e.. rolled in diced jalapenos, covered in Willy B's bourbon rub. I put it out in a group of men.............90 seconds and it was gone. Best tasting thing in the clubhouse according to Bean.

I cooked a couple when i was testing temps on my UDS recently. They weren't my first but so far my favorite.

Attachments

• 100_1888 (Small).JPG
    100_1888 (Small).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_1893 (Small).JPG
    100_1893 (Small).JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 71
Vic I use different kinds of breakfast sausage to make fattys.
Sometimes I buy fresh ground and seasoned bulk sausage from a good store.
I stuff mine with various cheeses. Sometimes I add onions or even peppers.
Go with what you like and give it a whirl.
Some folks crust their fatty with crushed cheeze its or just sprinkle them with there favorite pork rubs.
Just have fun and definately make more than one. If making a few I will stick a toothpick for an identifier. Just write down which one has what and add toothpicks to keep track.
I always wrap and chill for a couple hours before smoking.
We like pictures here and would love to see some photos as well as your comments.
Good luck!

My families favorite is JD stuffed with Pepper Jack cheese and sautéed onions & garlic... Another is stuffed with motz, red bell, jalapeño. We call it the Italian Christmas Fatty...

I'm trying a new one tomorrow.... Stuffed with cheddar, cooked bacon, & scrabbled eggs... Thinking this would be great on a biscuit for a quick breakfast....

Brother DDT incorporates rib trimmings in his fatties and he know's what the hell he's doing!:-D:-D
Rock on So. Cali. BBQ!

I've used rib trimmings for my own fatties in the past, much better than the ground pork from the grocers, but for some strange reason Jimmy Dean or even Generic chubs are my preferred choice.

My name is Chris and I'm a fattyholic... Like someone else here said, start with a pound of breakfast sausage and add almost anything you can think of to it. Lots of guys like to put all the stuff in the middle, personally I get the best results from mixing it all together. Not as pretty maybe but you really don't have *******s that way and I like getting a bit of all the added stuff in every bite. Another tip to throw in here is that if you work with the sausage at all, it will heat up just from your hands. Wrap it in plastic and stick it in the fridge to firm it back up. I've even stuck mine in the freezer for about an hour before with great results. Whatever you do though have fun and make about 3 more than you think you'll need... Fatty protocol never allows for just one...

Definitely make mutiple. If you stuff the fatty with anything that requires to be cooked before hand...i.e.; Bacon, be sure to cook it. Otherwise you will get some very uncooked food inside of the fatty.

Good luck and remember to post pron!

Back