MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Is the new revised pork rule good for BBQ?
Yes! 33 28.21%
No! 18 15.38%
Meh 19 16.24%
Pork is now a grilling contest 5 4.27%
Nothing changes for me 34 29.06%
Farker! 8 6.84%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #61
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Doesn't matter. I'll over cook it either way!
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #62
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

The 'idea' of 6 portions is so that each judge gets a sample of their own.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #63
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I wish they'd just change the name of the category to "pulled pork". POOF!!! All confusion gone instantly!

Can I make the precious little medallions? Yes. Do I find it to be silly? Yes, but apparently there are many who get a warm/fuzzy from sliced. To each their own.
Strangely enough the original KCBS participants probably would've considered pulled pork an overdone piece of meat and only given you some in similar fashion to bark pieces. KC prep was generally slices.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #64
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
The 'idea' of 6 portions is so that each judge gets a sample of their own.
Correct and for some competitors a bed of pulled or chopped would not fulfill 6 distinguishable portions as dictated by the rules. So a cook may refrain from using pulled or chopped for fear of disqualification. So the clarity offers them an answer.

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #65
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am really disappointed that so many of my brethren would go out of their way to find a loophole. You all know what the rule says and what it intended. If not, I have been giving you all way too much credit. I mention the BBQ-Brethren and the BBQ family everyday. I talk about the love, honor, respect and integrity that you all have and then I come here and see this.

"How can I beat the system?"
"Johnny's cheating, Can I cheat too?"
"Why won't everyone do it the way I want to do it?"

For Pete's sake MAN UP!
Buy a Pork Butt. Cook it the right way according to the rules. Turn in your best product and leave it up to the judges.

Don't worry about what the guy next door is doing. Do your best and have fun doing it.

Jeez! Quit whining! We get to BBQ! A lot! Enjoy it and quit looking for reasons to be pissed off.

I'm gonna go outside and cook 2 pork butts. And I don't give a damn about the money muscle. It's gonna be pulled like the rest of the butt and it's going to make a lot of people happy. If that ain't why you are bbqing, you need a new hobby.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #66
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I am really disappointed that so many of my brethren would go out of their way to find a loophole. You all know what the rule says and what it intended. If not, I have been giving you all way too much credit. I mention the BBQ-Brethren and the BBQ family everyday. I talk about the love, honor, respect and integrity that you all have and then I come here and see this.
HOLD ON A SEC. Just because someone (like myself earlier in this thread) can look at a rule, see how its poorly written to allow loopholes, and bring up the possibilities for gaming the system within the poorly worded rule doesn't mean:
1) i plan on using such loopholes
2) participate in or condone cheating
3) compete in any way other than in the spirit of true sportsmanship and ideals shared both by the majority of members here and majority of competitors in the BBQ community.

Now, as someone who brought up and discussed loopholes under this rule in this thread, I am one of these people you are talking about here. I think maybe you went a little far in pointing a judgmental finger at some of us.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #67
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Strangely enough the original KCBS participants probably would've considered pulled pork an overdone piece of meat and only given you some in similar fashion to bark pieces. KC prep was generally slices.
And I see sliced pork butt as meat that came up short of reaching its full potential. Give me pulled and chunked any day. Its amazing how different regional likes can be.

I guess people like what they like, and hey its all good. I certainly don't want to dump on someone for their preferred BBQ style.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 02:31 AM   #68
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
And I see sliced pork butt as meat that came up short of reaching its full potential. Give me pulled and chunked any day. Its amazing how different regional likes can be.

I guess people like what they like, and hey its all good. I certainly don't want to dump on someone for their preferred BBQ style.
If we are ever at the same comp, I want you to try my pork turn in. It is not the best, but it may change your mind. When I tried Bubba's pork turn in it changed my life.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 AM   #69
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
If we are ever at the same comp, I want you to try my pork turn in. It is not the best, but it may change your mind. When I tried Bubba's pork turn in it changed my life.
Would be happy to! Do you cook any LA comps? I can't afford to travel very far to compete so it has kept me from getting to try some things. I am not one whose mind can't be changed.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #70
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that the KCBS board has an agreement that if a proposed rule change doesn't generate at least a ten page thread on BBQ Brethren, it's not worth doing.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #71
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
They should have done this latest virson but left the 5lb minnium in as well.

With the rule as it is written, I wounder when some online meat source is going to start marketing just the money muscle in a 3 pack cryovac
Look up Pork n Podge Butcher Shop on Facebook. They currently offer a 5lb money muscle.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #72
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJ65 View Post
I think that the KCBS board has an agreement that if a proposed rule change doesn't generate at least a ten page thread on BBQ Brethren, it's not worth doing.
Awwww shucks! You found us out .

The above ^^^^^ is pure-D sarcasm for those who didn't catch it at first .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #73
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
HOLD ON A SEC. Just because someone (like myself earlier in this thread) can look at a rule, see how its poorly written to allow loopholes, and bring up the possibilities for gaming the system within the poorly worded rule doesn't mean:
1) i plan on using such loopholes
2) participate in or condone cheating
3) compete in any way other than in the spirit of true sportsmanship and ideals shared both by the majority of members here and majority of competitors in the BBQ community.

Now, as someone who brought up and discussed loopholes under this rule in this thread, I am one of these people you are talking about here. I think maybe you went a little far in pointing a judgmental finger at some of us.
Poorly written? Seriously? How about YOU join our rules committee that includes with Phil and Neil and let's straighten it out. You have the answers apparently and you're withholding them from all of KCBS.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #74
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Poorly written? Seriously? How about YOU join our rules committee that includes with Phil and Neil and let's straighten it out. You have the answers apparently and you're withholding them from all of KCBS.
Really Jeff? Maybe you could just get it right and be done with it?

I'm not on the rules committee, but I'll give it a shot...

What's wrong with requiring you start out with a 5 lb. minimum piece of pork shoulder, butt, or picnic, and cook it whole, and then allow it to be returned to the cooker after it's parted?

Seriously....how hard is that?

Maybe third time is a charm?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #75
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
If people can read the rules and come up with some easy and simple ways to circumvent them and go against the spirit of the rule while staying within the letter of the rule, then yeah, I would say it maybe needs to be written a little better. Not trying to make that personal with anyone involved on the board. And not trying to be on any committee, I want to cook and compete, not sit on a board. I do think it would be pretty easy to take what was said in this thread, figure out everyone's issues with the new rule, and then incorporate that into making the rule better.

In the end I am sure everyone here, including you since I guess you are taking the time to create these rules, wants competitve bbq to grow and prosper with competitors who exhibit sportsmanship and a competitive nature while being a fun family friendly atmosphere where everyone plays by the rules. No need to get defensive.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote