MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

I think he said fark or something about the lighter fluid also. lol I know there was a fark around in there.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #32
leanza
Babbling Farker

T- that was one tee-rific video. You got it going on.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

only fark was

"that's farking crZY MAN." at 4:40

i was amazed at what i had on the blackberry and palm pilot, lol

the zip drive has all sorts of naughty stuff with my wife from when she was a "fwb"

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #34
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Bro, that's something else! I see you are pimping the brethren site too.
Hmmmmm.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Hmmmmm.

I case you have missed it Bob, nearly every one of my videos from the last 3 years has pimped the brethren site. I am dedicated to it.

Edict.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #36
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
I case you have missed it Bob, nearly every one of my videos from the last 3 years has pimped the brethren site. I am dedicated to it.

No, I did not miss it Donnie. My "Hmmmm" was directed at Bo. Whole nother issue. I thought I had discussed it with Bo, but I guess it needs further discussion between all the Mods and Joe. Who knows!

Donnie, your vids always DO promote this Forum. I thank you for that. Also, your vids do (in their own way) bring things back to the cooking process.........smoking, grilling, griddling, etc. That's the way it should be.

So back to the OT. I've made and had the PBC bird too. Can you give us a break down in terms of, well, everything. What's your interpretation of the PBC and how it works or why you think it works that way? With your Comp background, how do feel the PBC would work as a bird cooker for Comp purposes?

Looking forward to the other episodes. I'm dying to do a brisket on it!
Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 03-10-2013 at 06:29 PM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #37
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

So back to the OT. I've made and had the PBC bird too. Can you give us a break down in terms of, well, everything.

Well I will give you the low down even though my next video, which has ribs in it, is going to be an all out serious effort.

The product arrived in a box much like everyone else's did with an email a few days before and a tracking number. If, for instance, Rocks Stoker had of arrived that way after I paid by credit card I would have been a much happier camper back in 2007.

Noah lived up to this first principle of business. If someone orders something out of excitement, don't screw it up before the damn thing gets there.

The product came out of the box and at first I was like, where is the farking manual? Well, there is one sheet... and frankly, that's all you need... the rest you are directed to their website or youtube channel.

Making the actual bird... as I shot the video, I was amazed by actually how little there was to do to get started. As you can see the prep process is easy. I can imagine even easier if I had already bought halves. I will hook them then rub them next time. I use a small flour sifter to put the rub on so it would make quick work on it. There was NO need to check it that one time that I did. On windy days, the force of the draft when you open the drum, kicks up LOTS of ash.... you can see it on the video.

HOWEVER!!!! Since the chicken hangs and there was no real place for juices and oils to pool... the ash never stuck. That was interesting.

What's your interpretation of the PBC and how it works or why you think it works that way?

The PBC is a one vent cooker that essentially gets it air from the one main, rather large hole in the side. The smoke will egress essentially out of the holes used to stick the rods that are used to hang the hooks and any slight openings in the lid. One has to remember that every square millimeter of opening is cumulative. The coals sit on the bottom and the meat hangs above it... oxygen limitation keeps fires, grease or otherwise, from burning out of control.

Hanging meat over drums is about as old as the drum itself at least in my neck of the woods. We had Italians and oil here in this part of Texas. Back as far as the 1920s they were simply punching holes with the claws of hammers in the drum bottoms, throwing in charcoal or burned down wood and simply using slats across the top of the drum and the lid on top of that to smoke meats. No airtight nuthin'.

Essentially, many on here have learned that temps around 275 make some of the best Q they have ever eaten. Thus, swings to 300 or down to 250... well.... really don't make a **** because they are true bbqing temps. The obsession with those steady temps really is crucial when you are near the 220 range - and there, swings of a mere 10 degrees essentially STOPS the whole cooking process so thats why steady temps are so important in that range.

I completely forgot to set the vent by the way and wished I had recorded the temp to see what I had. It was set half the way open. I would suggest anyone marking the vent position and noting "F" for factory... on the side then make other marks and place a nice wing nut for adjustment.

One of the first things I was fantasizing about with this thing as it sat in my house was could I make a few chubs of tenderloin (pork and beef) jerky on a nice slow smoke? How far would I have to choke the fire?

With you Comp background, how do feel the PBC would work as a bird cooker for Comp purposes?

Here is where some may not like what I say but there is a caveat at the end. With only slight variations in rub I made the chicken exactly as the manufacturer suggested. The meat had the rub on it only a few minutes before going on the smoker.

I was floored by how good it was without any tricks or glaze. The thigh reminded me of those "pre-cupcake" days. In Texas it might have a chance because of the WAY we do our chicken. I don;t think it would be a good thing to use in KCBS BUT THAT IS AN UNINFORMED OPINION. It would not be my small smoker of choice. But then again, that is what TRUE pitmasters do... the pit does not matter... the meat does.

So here is the caveat.... if I did real well in other categories and sucked so bad at chicken (score wise) that I either didn't do a chicken turn in at all or didn;t care.... I would definitely use this pit or a modified UDS that allowed for hanging. Here is why... ready.. what have you got to lose? I mean who wants chicken adding to the stress of your other entries? Plop on four chickens (8 halves) and go to town.

I am already farking around with chicken these days.... and I never did before. I did that on a windy day too. This week I am doing a whole bird that I will dip in that fake Popcorn Butter Flavored Oil halfway through. I used to do that long ago. Chris Lillys chix with the olive oil and resalt makes me think of it... so I am farking round too... The bird will be dry brined too. Can't wait to really look at ribs.

Quote:

So back to the OT. I've made and had the PBC bird too. Can you give us a break down in terms of, well, everything.

What's your interpretation of the PBC and how it works or why you think it works that way?

With you Comp background, how do feel the PBC would work as a bird cooker for Comp purposes?

Bob

Edict.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #38
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

One last thing.... 4 of the halves you see me wrapping in paper in the end were given away to friends who have more taste that just whats in their mouth's with just one direction. "eat it cold."

To the T everyone was impressed with the cold bird. My mom got a hot one.

Edict.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #39
DannyMac
Full Fledged Farker

Much more entertaining than any episode of Pitmasters! Loved the rotary phone relic as well.
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #40
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hmmmmm.
or was it the other w.....naw forget it.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #41
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Re: PitCOOKER T - The TRUTH about the Pit Barrel Cooker

After seeing the video a couple times now and giving it careful consideration, I have decided that I want to get myself a.......

Butcher paper dispenser!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #42
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Me too.

And a bunch of framed pictures of the Titanic.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #43
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Is anyone else growing more concerned about Mr. PitmasterT?

This was like watching a film directed by Ken Russel or David Lynch written by Robert A. Wilson, Castenada, Robb Walsh and Faust.

Fun video! Looking forward to the follow up (filmed east of Eden in the Land of Odd).

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #44
N8man
Babbling Farker

"penny on a stick"

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #45
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
"penny on a stick"

"its fer reechin' stuff"

Edict.