MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default BBQ Thinking

I borrowed the following quote from R L Reeves Jr., a member here, that I think is pretty telling...Link to his site (I hope this was okay to quote)

"It's the Texas tradition, and it's getting harder to come by as 99% of barbecue houses hereabouts get their sausages made at local factories and charge prices like they produced them in their own prep rooms.
It's Texas barbecue's dirty little secret.
Thankfully, there are a few young bucks around town like John Lewis at LA BBQ and Tom at Micklethwait Craft Meats who carry on like a couple salty old timers born in the 1940s."

This is something that I have been giving more and more thought to, in particular, as it relates to our brand of BBQ out here, Santa Maria BBQ. But, in general, about BBQ across the board. It seems like we (the country, not The Brethren) have all become quite ready to allow restaurants and television to define what BBQ is, or is not, in terms of style and flavor.

I mean, we often allow that somehow Memphis style ribs have dry shake on them, or KC style has a rich molasses sauce on them etc...

I have heard that 'Hot Guts' were hardly even available anymore, as the sausage was made milder and fatty, to appeal to a wider audience. What do you all think?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Landarc, you should know living in CA that BBQ is already way watered down to the level of grilling and adding BBQ sauce being called "BBQ". I have to go out of my way to find real BBQ that I don't cook myself. Furthermore, most people I've met are still clueless what brisket is or smoke rings. They only know what is fed to them from the media or a restaurant serving BBQ something that's grilled and parboiled.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

It is a typical response to the instant information age we are in now.
What TV & the media (electronic or otherwise) says, it what people tend to believe.

(The Sheeple principle)

It is a double edge sword.

BBQ has gotten a huge popularity boost due to the exposure, unfortunately, that exposure is not all entirely accurate or representative of what BBQ means to the individual regions where it developed.

So we have more & more people that are getting on the BBQ Train...unfortunately, most are not even on the correct train.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
landarc

But, think about what R.L. is saying, that even in Texas, where Hot Guts is the tradition that defined Texas BBQ, they are letting it slip away.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Boshizzle

When Texas starts to let a BBQ tradition die, it's time for all of us to worry. I suppose economics come into play. It's cheaper to pay someone else to make your sausage for you in terms of direct labor costs to make it yourself compared to buying from a place that specializes in making it.

It's too bad, but I noticed it in Texas too. At least one of the famous Lockhart BBQ restaurants are having their sausage made for them off premises now too.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with all of your comments. But I think it goes much further than BBQ. With the explosion of chain restaurants, and the steady decline of local family owned establishments, we will see a further decline in food authenticity and flavor. The large corporations that own the chains are always looking for the broadest appeal they can achieve while sacrificing quality for profit. The best weapon we have is our pocketbook.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by onexchef View Post
I agree with all of your comments. But I think it goes much further than BBQ. With the explosion of chain restaurants, and the steady decline of local family owned establishments, we will see a further decline in food authenticity and flavor. The large corporations that own the chains are always looking for the broadest appeal they can achieve while sacrificing quality for profit. The best weapon we have is our pocketbook.
This is very true. I had not really extended this out like that, but, it is true. I see a similar thing happening out here with ramen, but, with Foodies and Foodinistas driving it. They are taking what was basically a street food and making it wholly too fancy.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Very though provoking chit here and sadly all too true! +1 on onexchef tag line: use your pocketbook, its all we have.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

There will always be places looking to cut corners to appeal to people who are looking for the cheapest food and aren't interested in quality.

and likewise,

There will always be places looking to increase quality to appeal to people who are looking for the best food regardless of price.

I'm not really too concerned.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
gtr

Well hopefully it's just a trend that will change. Things keep changing, and at some point what was in is out and what was out is in. I'm not really a fan of anything that is produced and consumed on a massive scale, and BBQ is no different.

If people didn't buy chitty food, chitty food wouldn't be made, but they do buy it, so it is made. Not sure what to do about it other than not buy it myself.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

@Gore
You are right there are people who prescribe to the "quality food will get me business" philosophy. The problem as I see it is the other side has much deeper pockets. When a chain restaurant opens up in a particular area, and does not preform as well as expected, they have a better chance of staying open because they have corporate money backing them up. When an individual with quality in mind opens he better be able to attract a crowd right away or he is doomed. I have been in the foodservice industry for 30 years, and you can trust me when I tell you chain restaurants are impacting negatively on quality and authenticity in that industry.

Brady

Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

More evidence of why taking the time to do it yourself with fresh ingredients is the better way. There is something to be said for convenience though. Not sure where to draw the line. I mean how much quality am I willing to sacrifice in order to have more convenience.

And when it comes to defining anything I personally like to learn everything I can then come up with my own way. I'm still learning after all. The TV shows and restaurants and the so called experts are only guides as far as I am concerned.

My goal is to come up with a ME style. And it would be authentic - authentic ME. (If this makes any sense.)

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

That's a good point onexchef. In my town people absolutely eat with their wallet. They killed a Red Lobster and a Cracker Barrel all in one year. But Duff's Buffet of fat, is raking it in with wheelbarrows. We used to have a REAL BBQ place in town. This guy had it down, stick burners great Q and even Blues over the speakers. He went toes up in 18 months. The places that make it here are Bar/Grills. Setup a good bar, serve some good food at a reasonable price and the place will be packed. And for the most part the quality is very good. However, like what was said earlier the flavor is adjusted to appeal to a much larger audience so any specialty is lost. My wife and I go out once a week. But, I enjoy my cooking better and make it the way I want it to taste. So as long as I can do that I use the restaurant for gatherings with friends.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

@Bluesman
But, I enjoy my cooking better and make it the way I want it to taste.

I think most of us do. Thats why we lurk here trying to steal secrets.

Brady

Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ha! Try living around here. The mention of BBQ sandwiches for dinner will actually have everyone looking forward to this:

Maybe even with some tater-tots. At least my MIL doesn't use that Manwich stuff in the can, but really it's ketchup and mustard and ground beef. Not much about that says BBQ to most folks here (as in the brethren).

The world's going to hell in a hand basket, so let no homemade sausage get out alive people, smoke em if you got em, before we're all stuck eating farking sloppy joe's!

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote