MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #121
MemphisQ
On the road to being a farker

What an awesome job!

I have been around whole hog cooks since I was a kid. In PA they used the "Scald the Hair Off" method. In MS I have seen the "Burn the Hair Off" method.

That was the best set of photos I have seen in documenting the "How Too" cook. I am in awe of your talents and ability.

As for you needing to apologize about speaking your mind; I am not much for political correctness. Like my ole' Papa told me "Say what you mean, and mean what you say". And sometimes, some as#&%(# needs to be taken to the woodshed.

I will put the "nolesfan954" on ignore from now on. His opinion is not worth consideration; about anything.

You go girl!
MemphisQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #122
MemphisQ

nolesfan954 ............. ignored!

That helped my blood pressure!

Y'all have a great day .................... I've got to find me something to cook.
MemphisQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #123
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

I think you're slipping girl, I don't see any fruit in those pics :) What an amazing job you've done!!!!

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #124
82muchhomework
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Thats just amazing.
82muchhomework is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #125
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post

Wonder how long this thread is going to be....
Pretty dang long so far!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #126
WahooBBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Pretty dang long so far!
I'll make it one longer. That pig looks fantastic! Reminds me of being a kid in VA and pig pickings in the fall and spring.

btw, it's nice to meet y'all! I've been a lurker here for a while, thought I should go ahead and join up! I've learned lots and hope to learn even more.

Cowgirl, that baling wire idea is awesome for getting the pig out. I've burned plenty a hand and finger trying to pull a 200lb hog out of a hole.
WahooBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #127
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post
I think you're slipping girl, I don't see any fruit in those pics :) What an amazing job you've done!!!!
Good eye! Jeanie usually has fruit in her pics. Must be a deer camp thing.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #128
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeanie your are absolutely amazing....I am Flabbergasted.
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #129
Typically

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooBBQ View Post
I've burned plenty a hand and finger trying to pull a 200lb hog out of a hole.
that's what she said!

Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #130
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatnut View Post

Wasn't the cavity stuffed with apples?

Believe it or not I am a little disappointed with the way we treated nolesfan. Yes he may have questioned Jeannie and maybe even gone too far for Brethren expectation but we really piled on here. Sometimes in life we are going to disagree with people. Thats just human nature but we are part of a close knit group here. One that always welcomes new comers with open arms. Many who join us don't understand the etiquette of the board. I, myself, was caught in this very spot when I first started posting. I approached it the way I would approach any other forum on the web.....that was my first mistake. Luckily the people here took the time to enlighten me to where I was and what I belonged to. I had a moderator willingly give me their phone number and spend time talking to me and helping me understand the wonders of this place. Now I know where I am, where I stand and love every second of it.
Can we all accept this as a learning curve for Noles and try to welcome him in. I think from some of his later posts he understands what set the board off and seems sorry he did. I would hate to see a brother walk away because of a mistake. We are, in a way, a family unit here. We all have our roles and there is an expectation of us all. Lets be that family and give Noles a "what were you thinking" smack on the back of the head and move on from here. For all we know Noles may have a lot to contribute just like Jeannie.

Jeannie your posts always amaze me. You do so many different things and do them all well. You must be an incredibly interesting person to know personally. Thank you for all you contribute. Oh and let Phubar win at least once. lol

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #131
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Can we all accept this as a learning curve for Noles and try to welcome him in.
I think that's what made me react this time... he is a repeat offender. This wasn't his first time.

I have moved on.
Skip you are right.. I did have apples in the pig! Thanks for pointing that out!
Mike, I did forget the fruit side dish. lol

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #132
cowgirl

Thanks for the kind comments friends. Hope you give it a try sometime. I'm glad to see others that are familiar with this method. I does make some good eatin' pork. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noskos View Post
That is one awesome looking pig!

I think a lot of people are jealous about the way you live, being self sufficient in many ways (maybe even all the way) and still enjoying the good life and document it in a beautiful manner. I know I am

I was wondering did you do anything with the offal?!?
Thank you noskos! I did not save the offal on this pig. Any other time I might have but I was toooooo busy to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisQ View Post
What an awesome job!

I have been around whole hog cooks since I was a kid. In PA they used the "Scald the Hair Off" method. In MS I have seen the "Burn the Hair Off" method.

That was the best set of photos I have seen in documenting the "How Too" cook. I am in awe of your talents and ability.

As for you needing to apologize about speaking your mind; I am not much for political correctness. Like my ole' Papa told me "Say what you mean, and mean what you say". And sometimes, some as#&%(# needs to be taken to the woodshed.

I will put the "nolesfan954" on ignore from now on. His opinion is not worth consideration; about anything.

You go girl!

Thank you Memphis.
Another popular way to dehair pigs around here is to bury them with straw and just light the straw on fire. Turn the pig over if needed.
It does smell bad but works fine.

When I scald a large pig by myself I boil the pot of water... dip cheesecloth in the water and lay it across the pig for a few minutes. Then remove the cloth and scrape. Then repeat til the pig is scraped.
It's just the way I was taught.

Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #133
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
you handled it just fine. i imagined you going out and splitting logs or throwing hatchets or something after you read that guys comments.
lol Rick, I'm more of a hot bubble bath glass of wine girl.
I do have a chain saw but buy wood that is already split. It just saves me time. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 PM   #134
cowgirl

[QUOTE=WahooBBQ;1099824]I'll make it one longer. That pig looks fantastic! Reminds me of being a kid in VA and pig pickings in the fall and spring.

btw, it's nice to meet y'all! I've been a lurker here for a while, thought I should go ahead and join up! I've learned lots and hope to learn even more.

Cowgirl, that baling wire idea is awesome for getting the pig out. I've burned plenty a hand and finger trying to pull a 200lb hog out of a hole.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you like that idea. It does save a lot of grief when trying to get a hot tender pig out of a 4' hole. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #135
cowgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOne View Post
Cowgirl. ... 1 minor question I might have missed it as I skipped a few posts in there but where might I find the recipe for that side dish of spicy shrimp, that looks like heaven in foil pan!

The pig looks great don't get me wrong but if I have to choose between pig and shrimp... well I'll be torn I guess.

Wow that's cooking
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post
Jeanie I have read this entire thread start to now. Your cooking skills have always amazed me. And now along with a kind and caring personality too, you amaze me even more.

Thank you so much for being a true part of the Brethren and sharing your cooks and time with us all.

P>S I would very much like that Shrimp recipe also.

Thank you Oneshot and Jacob!

Here is the shrimp recipe...

For the sauce....
1 tsp cracked black pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of chili powder
two pinches each of
thyme
basil and
oregano
1 1/2 to 2 TBS liquid crab boil
1 1/2 TBS dijon mustard
about 1/2 tsp tabasco or hot sauce
2 sticks of butter (or more)

Pour over shrimp, stir well and bake in oven or in hot smoker or indirect grill til done. (about 20 minutes)

I was eyeballing the ingredients and put too much crab boil in... It was way too hot, so I added extra butter to cut the heat.
Then sprinkled the top with parsley to make it pretty.