Another Spare Rib Question

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I picked up 3 nice slabs of Spares tonight for $20.00 for all. The only way I have done them and that is not to many was to cut them St Louis style. I always seem to just waste the trim off.

Any advantages to just throwing the slabs on uncut?

We trim St Louis style and also cook all the trimming for some snacks during the cook. When the trimmings have cooled down, strip all the meat off, vacumn seal, freeze, and put into the finest chili on earth. Rib meat in chili is awsome. Don't waste anything.

I also have only ST. Louis styled the cut, but at the same time smoked the trims. Very good snacks.

I always trim. The trimmings get saved and used for a variety of different things. Sometimes they just get smoked for rib tips. But sometimes turned into chili verde, tacos, enchiladas, ground up for meat loaf.

All kinds of options.

same here smoke then just the way there are then cut to your likin ans the rest use for chili

Trim off the flap on the back, pull off the skin and smoke em whole...
Thats how we've been serving them lately vending.
Seem to stay a lil more moist that way and no waste! :biggrin:

Edit....we've been trimming to St Louis for catering and have probably 100 lbs of tips for beans and what not, cooking them whole saved some freezer space plus the customer was getting a lot more rib for the bang!

I agree with Bbq Bubba, if you cook them whole. Save the flap meat for other things like sauerkraut, beans, soups, just to name a few. You can smoke them as well to add flavor, just don't over cook. I do like to cut to St Louis style now and then to make them purity for comps and work lunches ect.
Dave

I always buy then trim spareribs. I put the flap and joints on at the same time. They cook faster so it gives my wife something to munch on while we are waiting for the ribs. She is a little impatient.:rolleyes:

Back