MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring

Notices

BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring *On Topic Only* From the Backyard to the American Royal... thats our motto. Here is a place for those interested in Competition BBQ, but not yet ready to venture out alone can hook up and help out our veteran teams to see what its like on "The Dark Side". More instructions inside.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Default seeking competition team experience

I am very interested in gaining some competetion experience, and don't really know where to get started. A member of the KBCS suggested trying to find an existing team that might be willing to allow me to help out, and gain some knowledge of rules and presentation. I live in michigan and would be willing to travel to some extent, if at all possible...

Thanks for your consideration....
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Here's what I did - go to the KCBS site and find a particular comp that you would be able to attend. Then post something here asking teams if they plan on attending that particular comp. If you have more detailed info you will be more likely to find a team.You can also contact the contest organizer. I did that last year and ended up hanging out with the Texas Rib Rangers for 2 days!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

PM Tonto from the Smokin Scotsmen, they love gettin new dish washers!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Be glad to have you join me at a comp or two. I usually cook by myself so am always looking for a runner including this weekend (Sunday) in Lowell. Grand Rapids is in 2 weeks and then MT Morris in late August. Let me know. The offer extends to more than just being a runner. You can show up Friday morning (Saturday for Lowell) and sleep over in your car and do the whole thing if you want. I provide food.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the offers and suggestions....Ford I am very interested, but I dont know if I can make this weekend in Lowell. Grand rapids and Mt Morris are more likely...I will know more by tomorrow. Fri. july 10...Thanks again..

Firecrackerjack

Diamondplate 60 series
chargriller pro/sfb
[email protected]
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Firecracker, did we talk on the phone a few days ago ?? If so, glad you found us here!! Ford would be a great mentor!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Ford,
Pretty sure I can run for you at Grand Rapids. Will talk to you more about it at Lowell.

Scott
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Ford,
Sorry I can't make the Lowell event...But I am seriously interested about upcoming events....I just have to sort my ever increasingly mixed up work schedual...Sometimes work hours change or become more demanding at the last minute...So things remain uncertain....Hopefully I can work things out with you, as to let me be your new dishwasher, or runner, or pretty-much whatever you need.....Not that I have a clue what to expect...But if it's got to do with BBQ...I'm sure it'll be good.

Sincerely,
The back yard pro...Who don't really know,
Firecrackerjack
Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker jack View Post
Ford,
Sorry I can't make the Lowell event...But I am seriously interested about upcoming events....I just have to sort my ever increasingly mixed up work schedual...Sometimes work hours change or become more demanding at the last minute...So things remain uncertain....Hopefully I can work things out with you, as to let me be your new dishwasher, or runner, or pretty-much whatever you need.....Not that I have a clue what to expect...But if it's got to do with BBQ...I'm sure it'll be good.

Sincerely,
The back yard pro...Who don't really know,
Firecrackerjack
sounds great. My out-laws volunteered to help out Sunday at Lowell and I have 3 helpers plus Carol so with Vending I may now have time to actually pay a little attention to the competition meat.

Let me know about GR and MT Morris. Sounds like Scott is going to run for me at GR. If you can get there Friday afternoon you can see all my prep. You're welcome to stay for dinner or all night for that matter but you'll need to sleep in your car. You won't be the only one for sure. And Saturday morning I start around 5:00 with rib prep so it's an early start if you really want to see it all. But whenever you're there is great. If you PM me I can send you my number.