MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #376
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Looking good! I am in for a road trip when you get settled in.

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #377
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

First cook on the smoker today. A bunch of spares and tips. Great googly moogly, did they ever turn out well.

One thing I was shocked to learn about this pit is how much faster the cooking times are compared to what I'm used to. I put the ribs on expecting about a four hour cook as per usual, but at just 2.5 hours they were bending and on the verge of breaking so I had to pull way early. I guess the rotisserie and convection fan really do make a difference.

I was mainly cooking just to test and to make dinner for our family and my in-laws, but since we had some extra I sort of half joked and posted on facebook that if anybody stopped in they could try a sample. I didn't really think anybody would show. Instead, around 30 people ended up coming. Oops.

Great reviews, too, and got to meet a lot of people in the area who are just begging for the place to open, so that's a good sign.

Pretty exciting to be on the cusp of finally opening.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #378
FatCoyote
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good and excited for ya.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #379
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

WOW! 30 customers just from a FB post!

Hopefully the local media will give you some air time.

Good Luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #380
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great start, the convection really makes a huge difference.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #381
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Be sure to get in touch with Pat Moody of WSJM and MailMax. He does a great job of provididng publicity for start up businesses in the area. I'll be bringing some friends down from St. Joseph soon.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #382
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Be sure to get in touch with Pat Moody of WSJM and MailMax. He does a great job of provididng publicity for start up businesses in the area. I'll be bringing some friends down from St. Joseph soon.
Great idea. I don't listen to Pat personally, but I didn't even think of using him as an outlet to get the word out. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #383
dummy que
Full Fledged Farker

Default new bbq joint

good luck i`ve had a lot of folks tell me YOU SHOULD OPEN A BBQ PLACE your one brave man to risk your time and money and take a hobby an turn it into a job THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU

Old 11-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #384
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very cool that you have a nice following already ;)
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #385
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_engr View Post
WOW! 30 customers just from a FB post!

Hopefully the local media will give you some air time.

Good Luck!
Customers implies they paid. These were just people that wanted free ribs.

MB, you will find that with the convection it will speed things up considerably, just like in a regular convection oven.

Great to see things are getting closer.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #386
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Dang man, can't wait for the opening!

Now that's some pr0n to see first thing in the morning

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #387
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice cook and fast.
30 people off one post, I can already see your gonna need another smoker.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #388
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

So far so good. Glad to hear it :)

Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #389
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

The hiring process is absolutely brutal. I've had to hire people before in my other business, but it was specialized and only a certain subset of people applied. For these positions it blows my mind to see the walks of life that are begging for a job. Longest and most taxing day in this venture so far and I've got to do it for the rest of the week.

Otherwise, finally chose a food supplier, and the health inspector is coming in the morning to do a pre-inspection to hopefully catch any issues before the final inspection and give me an open date so I can begin getting the word out.

But another setback with the contractor. Still need the exhaust fan hooked up and after a week of "looking into it" he said he can't do it because he isn't licensed for HVAC work. WTF? You knew this was part of the project from day one. So now he's pawned me off to someone else who he says can do it. At what cost, I still do not know. Pain in the ass.

I need a drink. And like two straight days of sleep.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #390
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

When you open your second store in the south, I will work for food haha.

I feel your pain in the hiring process, had the same thing in the asphalt trade.
Everybody could do it till it came time to do it. Nothing like what your going through though.