MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
bunchde
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Help with DigiQ DX2

I've had the 22.5 WSM with a DigiQ DX2 for a couple months. I'm having trouble keeping the pit up to temperature. During the last couple hours of the cook, the fan blasts non stop and temps stay below 200. I have to open vents in order to get the temp up. Plus the fan blowing nonstop seems to be blowing ashes around which tend to get on the food. There is plenty of briquettes in the smoker, so it's not running out of fuel. And if I have to mess with the vents, what's the point in spending $$ on the DX2? Any suggestions? Maybe don't use the water pan? Very frustrating.
bunchde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
mep
Full Fledged Farker

It sounds to me like you are running out of fuel (charcoal) and the unit is trying to run to keep the fire going.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
ccarter
Full Fledged Farker

It would sound like you're running out of fuel, except your post claims you have plenty of charcoal still available. I'm just taking a stab since I can't actually see your pit, but I'd have to say somehow you're having a significant airflow problem, and there's also a possibility of damp charcoal.

How far open is your top vent?
How far open is the dampner that's housed in the guru fan?
What kind of charcoal are you using?
Is that charcoal fresh?
Where do you store your charcoal?
ccarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchde View Post
I've had the 22.5 WSM with a DigiQ DX2 for a couple months. I'm having trouble keeping the pit up to temperature. During the last couple hours of the cook, the fan blasts non stop and temps stay below 200. I have to open vents in order to get the temp up. Plus the fan blowing nonstop seems to be blowing ashes around which tend to get on the food. There is plenty of briquettes in the smoker, so it's not running out of fuel. And if I have to mess with the vents, what's the point in spending $$ on the DX2? Any suggestions? Maybe don't use the water pan? Very frustrating.
If the fan is running constantly then you are having problems producing heat, maybe there is an air flow issue, maybe the charcoal is burning out losing the ability to produce heat, or maybe the charcoal is damp as "ccarter" suggested.

With the BBQ Guru DX2 there is no need to adjust the intake vents, in fact opening them would be counter-productive to the cook. Your top vent should always be open and once at the set temperature the fan will pulse for a moment but not run continually.

Keep in mind that briquettes do produce much more ash than lump charcoal. Once you have your charcoal loaded light a large handful of charcoal in the chimney and dump in center of the unlit charcoal with your scattered wood chunks. The charcoal will burn outward keeping an even burn and consistent temperature.

I have a much larger cooker and an 8 pound load of charcoal will burn for 14+ hours maintaining perfect temperatures. It should be no problem for the WSM to do the same.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

if you have too much ash buildup, sometimes just giving one of a legs a medium tap with your foot or a gentle stir will help....

Also, not sure what CFM fan you have, but try it with a very small opening on the slide so it pumps air in short bursts for long periods... If it's too open you also run the risk of letting to much cold air into the fire...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I am not exactly sure what the problem is but as someone stated above, opening another air intake is counter productive.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
bunchde
Got rid of the matchlight.

OK, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the posts. One of them made me realize there is a damper in the fan. I checked it and it was essentially closed. Went back and looked at the owener's manual and now see for my smoker it probably needs to be 1/2 open. Can't wait to try it again!
bunchde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunchde View Post
OK, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the posts. One of them made me realize there is a damper in the fan. I checked it and it was essentially closed. Went back and looked at the owener's manual and now see for my smoker it probably needs to be 1/2 open. Can't wait to try it again!
s**t happens

WSM 18.5", Weber Kettle, Thermapen, Maverick ET-732
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Yup, damper will get you every time!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Glad you found the problem...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote