MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #31
nopantsdan
Got Wood.

thanks guys!

got my barrel today, it might be the RUDS right now. really ugly. got it for $20 at container reclaimer just north of denver. it is a tad taller than the other 55gal drums (maybe 3 or 4 inches), but the guy said this is what other guys want when they come in looking to make a vertical smoker. i saw some at this warehouse that clearly had a liner in it, can anyone tell if this one does? he said it was food safe and to the best of his knowledge without a liner.

i plan on painting it, so looks aside - did i get hosed, or should this work out alright?
nopantsdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
smoken Jokers
Got Wood.

OK this is my 2 cents I have 2 Large BGE's, 2 UDS, and 1 250 off set on trailer, 1 egg with plate setter for long cooks 1 egg W/O plate setter for the perfect steak, 1 UDS for chicken and pork butts ribs and so on and 1 UDS for fish, lobster, seafood and the big boy for large cooks a man cant have too many smokers.

SMOKEN JOKERS
smoken Jokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #33
Ye Olde Party Palace
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Terry4

I am now into my second year with my UDS, and.....I LOVE IT. I have a chuck roast cooking on it right now. As has been previously stated, the UDS is pretty much set and forget. With my Maverick, I check the temps and make small adjustments as needed. I have smoked a full packer brisket for about 15 hours on maybe six lbs. of lump charcoal and 3 small sticks of apple wood. I still use my other cookers, but the UDS is my go to smoker.

[FONT=Impact]Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery. :loco:[/FONT]
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #34
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I started out with a nice, heavy duty, backyard side smoker. Had it 2 years and I just couldn't cook with it when hosting a party and smoking multiple racks of ribs, constantly feeding the fire, even had a fan on it, sucked.

I have a couple of BUFORD's, hybrid Santa Maria, BGE, Gasser, Konro, I'm set.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
funugy
Take a breath!

@ nopantsdan--Check around to see how much you can get it sandblasted for. If you don't find a good deal ($40 or less) you could do a good burn and wire brush/sand off the paint and rust to get the barrel back to bare metal and start from there.

The real question is have you checked to see if your Weber lid will fit. Many of the open head drums need some sort of tweaking to get the Weber lid to fit.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #36
funugy
Take a breath!

Check out this build for instructions on how to build a UDS simple.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=43943

Old 09-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

My nephew picked up a new drum in Denver from some local supplier for $70 bucks or so a few months back.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #38
nopantsdan
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
My nephew picked up a new drum in Denver from some local supplier for $70 bucks or so a few months back.
any idea who he picked it up from? was it unlined?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #39
AtlGator
On the road to being a farker

I will add this on a drum cooker - cooking over naked coals does impart a different flavor than in an offset. Grease fired smoke delivers a certain profile that's a major hit for many folks, and a major miss for others. I actually find it too strong a flavor note every so often, and am myself looking forward to a new SQ36 on its way to me as I join the legions of stick burners.

Some folks do put in baffles between the coals and meat to guard against the grease smoke flavor. I never tried but may one day.

The only downgrade is in cooking surface from your offset. Otherwise, you will gain incredible temp control and stability, and portability you don't currently enjoy.

I wouldn't get rid of your offset until a year or two of happy ownership from a drum. I also think you'll always miss your ol' rig if you do sell!
AtlGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGator View Post
I will add this on a drum cooker - cooking over naked coals does impart a different flavor than in an offset. Grease fired smoke delivers a certain profile that's a major hit for many folks, and a major miss for others. I actually find it too strong a flavor note every so often, and am myself looking forward to a new SQ36 on its way to me as I join the legions of stick burners.

Some folks do put in baffles between the coals and meat to guard against the grease smoke flavor. I never tried but may one day.

The only downgrade is in cooking surface from your offset. Otherwise, you will gain incredible temp control and stability, and portability you don't currently enjoy.

I wouldn't get rid of your offset until a year or two of happy ownership from a drum. I also think you'll always miss your ol' rig if you do sell!
I always use a diffuser in all my drums.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #41
nopantsdan
Got Wood.

is this alright for an UDS? the unlined option obviously..

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/open-he...el-drum-drm844

Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #42
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopantsdan View Post
any idea who he picked it up from? was it unlined?
http://www.containerbuyers.com/index.html

New, unlined drums are the only way to go if you're willing to spend a few bucks and you have a local supplier. Can't imagine sanding, grinding, sandblasting and / or burning one just to get started. When it's all said and done, the time, labor and frustration is worth $70-$75 to just buy a brand spanking new one.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #43
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopantsdan View Post
is this alright for an UDS? the unlined option obviously..

http://www.newpig.com/pig/US/open-he...el-drum-drm844

Yes that barrel looks fine. I would still recommend a good HIGH heat burn just to be safe. Some would argue that it isn't needed, but watching a barrel burn is fun.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
nopantsdan
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
http://www.containerbuyers.com/index.html

New, unlined drums are the only way to go if you're willing to spend a few bucks and you have a local supplier. Can't imagine sanding, grinding, sandblasting and / or burning one just to get started. When it's all said and done, the time, labor and frustration is worth $70-$75 to just buy a brand spanking new one.
thanks just sent them an email.

i would have done this in the first place, had i known there was one available. i wonder if my weekly garbage will take this used 55gallon drum. hmmm

thanks!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #45
MarineX
Got rid of the matchlight.

For those members in the Dallas, TX area; Dallas Steel Drums sell brand new barrels for $43 out the door.
MarineX is offline   Reply With Quote