MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
Smoki
Found some matches.

Smile Gas grilling - when to cook with lid open or closed? +1 Q

Hi,

I have a natural gas grill. I see a ton of recipes here but nobody really mentions if the grill lid should be open or closed. i did a search and there are only a few posts on this. So, specifically for burgers, steaks, chicken breasts, kabobs and hotdogs, do you leave the lid open or closed?

The other interesting point is that even with all burners on LOW, with the lid shut my grate temp (used electronic thermometer) is at 475', but dome is 350. so, if something says "cook chicken over medium heat (350')", if I turn mine to medium the temp inside would reach 700'+ in a few minutes. That makes me believe the lid should be open.

Anyone have any definitive answers as to whether grill should be open or closed, and also how it makes sense that my "low" is every recipes "high" (maybe they are using less than all of the burners?) I would really appreciate it. I cant be the only one wondering this.

Many thanks - great forum
Smoki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
Smoki
Found some matches.

Or what do you do

Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure about the lid situation. I cook with lid closed. But I will say on thing. Don't rely on low medium and high temps. I go based off temperature and not setting. Like you've noticed there can be a huge difference there.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Smoki
Found some matches.

By go by temp you mean grate temp or dome temp?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
MilitantSquatter

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...light=lid+open
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The lid aint there to keep the weather out! It serves a purpose, creating convection so you get even heat all over your meat, retain a moisture in the cook environment & cut down on air to reduce flareups.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #7
hb2301
Knows what a fatty is.

I would always cook with the lid closed unless you have one of those high dollar infrared cookers that gets up to 1500 degrees. As far as temps, you always want to measure as close to the food level as you can. To get the lower temps you need, try turning off 1 or 2 burners and placing the food away from the lit burner. You should be able to get just about any temp you need.
hb2301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
zanna5910
Full Fledged Farker

I seem to grill almost entirely by feel and use the lid to my advantage on my gasser. I typically dont put too much emphasis on the actual temp it says in the top but more on ranges. Over time, you will just know how your grill likes to cook and will be better off knowing the sweet spot. With that said, I like to have the temp set so the lid is closed for most of the whole cook outside of basting and whatnot. In my experience, if the lid is closed, it will help cook the inside of the meat faster. Don't know if it helps, but if i was searing a tuna steak, I probably wouldn't put the lid on. YMMV
zanna5910 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Think of the grill as an oven.... it's more efficient when closed and the grate temp while great for grill marks isn't what controls the cook time .... Check your ambient temp of your "oven" and adjust accordingly... 350F is a good base line. You can set the grill up for indirect cooking and move food over to that side to finish cooking. Did the grill come with a recipe book? If so you might find some tips for direct and indirect set up on your particular unit. Remember that many techniques discussed about charcoal grills are easily adapted to gassers. You might want to check for dedicated forums for your particular grill that along with the brotherhood will help you become a Master griller.
HTH

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burgers, closed, dome, gass, Grate, Grill, kabob, lid, open, temperature