MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Candice
Default Anyone use the MB slow smoker with pellets?

Walmart had a sale on the MES 130B for $117 so i picked one up. I also bought a Masterbuilt slow smoker off amazon for $16 (had $55 in points)

Anyway. I had a MES30 1st Gen that lasted 6+ years and they are notorious for not producing smoke at low temps for cold smoking, so I bought this add-on because i had a AMNPS that lasted 6 months before it started rusting and fell apart. (bad quality product)

My concern is this MB slow smoker unit seems to churn out a lot of smoke, more then i want.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips to keep the smoke to a minimum? I don't mind manually tending to it with small amounts of pellets.
EyeBurnEverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

This will be used for jerky, Salmon, and dry cured Sausages exclusively. They only need a few hours of light smoke.

Just wanted to point that out, just in case anyone wonders why i would dare complain about too much smoke.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
EyeBurnEverything
is One Chatty Farker

It arrived today. I did some tests. Looks like 1/8 cup of pellets added every 15 min produces a nice thin blue smoke. Sure its tedious, but when doing jerky and dry cured meats, you really only need an hour or two of smoke. The rest is just really low temp till done.