New bbq restaurant opening in Pittsburgh

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
We have a new bbq restaurant opening here which says in their words a Franklin inspired Texas bbq restaurant. They went to Houston to get their pit. I called them out for not having Franklin inspired pricing. Here’s a sample of the menu.

The menu will feature oak and cherry wood-smoked meats, rubbed with the restaurant’s signature blend. The meats are priced by the pound and include:

Beef Brisket $28
Turkey $20
Sausage $16
Jerk Chicken $16
Pork $20
Ribs $28

Vs.

https://franklinbbq.com/menu

Now they are a bit fru fru and the price is the price. I just think they are bit expensive. What say you brethren

Buy brisket @ $4/lb, lose 30% weight when trimming, then another 50% after cooking, you'd be around $10/lb break even (not counting rub and fuel), then the typical "multiply your costs times 3" I hear thrown out for restaurants, I could see how you'd arrive at that number. It seems high to me, and I probably wouldn't pay it, but whatever.

Buy brisket @ $4/lb, lose 30% weight when trimming, then another 50% after cooking, you'd be around $10/lb break even (not counting rub and fuel), then the typical "multiply your costs times 3" I hear thrown out for restaurants, I could see how you'd arrive at that number. It seems high to me, and I probably wouldn't pay it, but whatever.

They just got back to me that the rib price should be $20. All others stand as they are.

Prices at my favorite bbq restaurant Spilly’s BBQ

Brisket Sandwich $10.75

1/2 Chicken with Coleslaw
Choose a a side: Baked Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese, Coleslaw, Meaty Beans (+ $0.75)
$9.75

Pulled Pork Sandwich
With coleslaw.
$8.75

Brisket Chili
$5.75

Feed the Gang
Piggy Family
Feeds 6-9. 2 lbs. Pulled pork, 2 large sides and 8 buns. Choose a a side: Baked Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese, Colesl...More
$56.00

Racks and Slabs
Feeds 3-5. 3 half rib racks, 3 half chickens and 2 large sides. Choose a a side: Baked Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese,...More
$54.00

Office Sliders
Feeds 8-10. 1 lb. pulled pork, 1 lb. brisket, 1 lb. pulled chicken, 3 large sides and 12 slider buns. Choose a a side: B...More
$82.00

I'm guessing you aren't trying to call them out by name, but if it's the place I'm thinking of then I would think they are just trying to take their established clientele from the other restaurant they own and give them a high end BBQ option....either that or it's just a pet project of the chef. I've read a couple articles about the guy and from what I remember he believes Texas BBQ comes from the type of Pit's they use and thats the reason he traveled to get one. I'm sure plenty of folk here could argue that point.

I've been in Pittsburgh since 2007, and have yet to have BBQ that comes close to home (Texas) on a consistent basis. Ill believe it when I see it/taste it.

What pit did he get? I'm wary of any bbq joint who do not show off their smoker.

Prices at my favorite bbq restaurant Spilly’s BBQ

Brisket Sandwich $10.75

1/2 Chicken with Coleslaw
Choose a a side: Baked Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese, Coleslaw, Meaty Beans (+ $0.75)
$9.75

Pulled Pork Sandwich
With coleslaw.
$8.75

Brisket Chili
$5.75

Feed the Gang
Piggy Family
Feeds 6-9. 2 lbs. Pulled pork, 2 large sides and 8 buns. Choose a a side: Baked Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese, Colesl...More
$56.00

Racks and Slabs
Feeds 3-5. 3 half rib racks, 3 half chickens and 2 large sides. Choose a a side: Baked Beans, Cornbread, Mac and Cheese,...More
$54.00

Office Sliders
Feeds 8-10. 1 lb. pulled pork, 1 lb. brisket, 1 lb. pulled chicken, 3 large sides and 12 slider buns. Choose a a side: B...More
$82.00

This place would be my favorite too with that pricing! :thumb:

I stumbled on a page that said Franklin BBQ pits coming soon! That is interesting.

He went with Houston Smokers? Seems odd to not choose an A list builder if you’re going to spend that type of money. All of the welds look decent though.

80245baf72c9e69c11ec64201fae34ca.jpg

a119ddffcb504dce406a2d92ea03855a.jpg

I might consider a stop once it has settled in a bit and if I am back home in Pittsburgh (and the reviews are good).

He went with Houston Smokers? Seems odd to not choose an A list builder if you’re going to spend that type of money. All of the welds look decent though.

80245baf72c9e69c11ec64201fae34ca.jpg

a119ddffcb504dce406a2d92ea03855a.jpg

I doubt he’s a Brethren which might explain that, but hey he got his pit from Texas so that should make good Texas bbq.

$22K for that smoker. They got ripped off. Could have got a Moberg or Evie Maes for half that. A 500 gallon Moberg on skids is only like $8,000.

Last edited:
Back