MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #8926
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklich View Post
How long does it take your ribs to pass the toothpick test?
About 4 hours or so hanging or 2.5 hanging and 1 hour in foil.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #8927
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Does anyone ever have problems getting ribs to fall off the bone or even pull easily using a PBC? I have cooked baby back ribs 3 times now and the flavor is there but the tenderness is not. I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos and follow the directions but I get different results. The bottom of the rack is good but the rest is not.

Also, my charcoal does not last as long as it does in the videos I have watched.

Does anyone else have these issues?

I've had baby backs on for 5 1/2 hours without falling into the coals, but they were close to it.

I find when they fall of the bone, they are overdone a bit and not really "fall off the bone tender" since I don't wrap. I've never really had them be done in 3 hours, however, and this may be due to the BB racks from Costco being pretty meaty. They actually seem to have more meat on them than the Farmer John spares that are sold at the grocery store.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #8928
gatorjj
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : J.J.

Quote:
Does anyone ever have problems getting ribs to fall off the bone or even pull easily using a PBC? I have cooked baby back ribs 3 times now and the flavor is there but the tenderness is not. I’ve watched a bunch of YouTube videos and follow the directions but I get different results. The bottom of the rack is good but the rest is not.

Also, my charcoal does not last as long as it does in the videos I have watched.

Does anyone else have these issues?
I lost a rack once by letting it go just a little too long, but these days I just cut them more or less in half (60/40 maybe) so I can pull the thinner ribs off a little earlier and both halves come out just like I want them. I think they can go a little longer because there's less weight to pull through that way. BTW that rack of ribs I dropped, I picked it off the charcoal and it tasted great :)

My charcoal seems to last really long, but I've not yet mastered the right startup procedure to have the PBC humming along in the 270-300 range. It usually ends up stabilizing around 220-230 and I have to crack the lid every now and then to get the temp higher. The food is always good so I haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out.
gatorjj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #8929
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorjj View Post
I lost a rack once by letting it go just a little too long, but these days I just cut them more or less in half (60/40 maybe) so I can pull the thinner ribs off a little earlier and both halves come out just like I want them. I think they can go a little longer because there's less weight to pull through that way. BTW that rack of ribs I dropped, I picked it off the charcoal and it tasted great :)

My charcoal seems to last really long, but I've not yet mastered the right startup procedure to have the PBC humming along in the 270-300 range. It usually ends up stabilizing around 220-230 and I have to crack the lid every now and then to get the temp higher. The food is always good so I haven't spent too much time trying to figure it out.
I’ve never lost a rack (so far), but instead of hooking 2 bones down as recommended I hook 3 bones down like a lot of the guys here do. Works so far. Cutting in half works well, too. I just prefer leaving whole because I like the bend test for doneness more than the toothpick test.

I think a good way to ensure consistent high temps in the high 200’s is to leave the lid off a little longer at the start: Instead of putting the lid on immediately after lighting you might try letting it go for a minute or so. That’s what I figured out works for me and I never have the low temp problem any more. But only about 1 minute; much more than that and you’re asking for a blazing fire that you’ll be fighting the whole time.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #8930
SS13
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

If you use a chimney to add coals to the unlit ones in the basket, do you put the food on right away? I have found letting the coals get to know each other as well allowing any smoke from wood chunks to get smoking for at least 5 minutes, if not more, works best for me.

Since you mentioned your coals last really long...maybe they are not getting enough O2 and you could try opening your damper a little more. This could get your more consistent ideal temps.
SS13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #8931
gatorjj
Found some matches.

Thanks for the responses. I typically do the chimney for 15-20 minutes, leave the lid off for about 10 to let everything catch and the smoke to clear, and then put the food on. Sometimes that runs in the normal temp range, sometimes it cools down to the 225 range. Yesterday it ran consistently 290-300 once it settled down, so I don't think it's an airflow problem.

I've had the PBC for a couple years, and the food always comes out great. I think I just need to pay more attention to how I start it up and see what I'm doing to make it go one way vs. another. Any excuse to cook more is not bad in my book

Old 07-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #8932
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I typically do the chimney for 15-20 minutes, leave the lid off for about 10 to let everything catch and the smoke to clear, and then put the food on. Sometimes that runs in the normal temp range, sometimes it cools down to the 225 range. Yesterday it ran consistently 290-300 once it settled down, so I don't think it's an airflow problem.

I've had the PBC for a couple years, and the food always comes out great. I think I just need to pay more attention to how I start it up and see what I'm doing to make it go one way vs. another. Any excuse to cook more is not bad in my book
Amen, JJ. You’re suffering for science. I’ve got 2 racks on right now and going to add some turkey legs. Giddyup

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM   #8933
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
It's been a while but I pulled chicken off the PBC. Comes out fantastic. Mixed pulled is better IMHO plus a lot of the fat drains out during the cooking process. Cook it hot and rest a few minutes before pulling. I actually ate the crispy skin by itself and pulled the meat.

Ever try Kosmos Dirty Bird rub? I love it on Chicken, great on a whole bird!

Old 07-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #8934
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I have always followed the instructions for lighting the PBC and then just put the food on. I don't monitor temps at all and have always had good food. I have always just followed the mantra that the food is done when it's done.

One of the reasons I got the PBC to begin with was how simple it's use was supposed to be without having to worry about what temp the cooker is at.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #8935
Duey
Knows what a fatty is.

I don't post too often, but wanted to report on our 1st competition. Used the PBC on all 3 meats (chix thighs, BBRs, and PP) with an assist to the kettle. It was a local comp (no pros allowed) with the meat supplied by the sponsors so everyone has the same starting point. 24 total teams. Had a blast. We finished 11th in ribs, 11th in PP, and 1st in chix for a 4th overall. Met lots of really cool people and sampled lots of good food.

Fought rain all morning.

IMG_20180714_114906 (1).jpg

IMG_20180714_114930.jpg

Rib box.
IMG_20180714_151924119_HDR_01.jpg

Chix looks burnt in the pic. Definitely not. Portions look small because that's what they told us in the team meeting.
4324.jpg

What a blast.
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #8936
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Way to go Duey!
LloydQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 05:31 PM   #8937
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great job Duey! Congrats.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #8938
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Love it, Duey! Congrats!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #8939
gatorjj
Found some matches.

Awesome Duey!

Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #8940
PapaBearBlues22
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
See answers above. Good luck in your decision!
Doing ribs on my PBC, and this answered almost all my questions, thanks Bob C Cue & TailgateJoe! One last question, are you hanging them the entire time, or wrapping? I've gotten good results in the past on my Weber sans foil/paper, and really just want to hang them and let 'em do their thing... TIA
PapaBearBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it